Daoust, D'Aoust, Deault or Dault is a common French language surname, people with this family name can be found in most of Canada (especially in Quebec, Eastern Ontario), the United States and Belgium. It literally translates as (born) in August or (born) in Summer. Although others suggest that it means someone from the village of Aouste in the Ardennes region of France, near Laon. The D apostrophy would indicate being of (de) Aouste, as the Italians use 'di' as in Di Maggio.
The first record of someone with the surname Daoust can be traced back to 1459 in the Picardie region of northern France¹.
- Charles Daoust (1825–1868), politician of Canada East
- Jean-Baptiste Daoust (1817–1891), MP for Deux-Montagnes, Quebec
- Sévère D'Aoust, first colonizer of Sarsfield, Ontario
- Sylvia Daoust, C.M., C.Q., A.R.C. (1902–2004), sculptor
- Dan Daoust, NHL Hockey Player (Center), 1982-83 Montreal Canadiens and 1983-1990 Toronto Maple Leafs
- Daoust's Corner, former name of Sarsfield, Ontario region prior to 1874
- A brand of Ice Skates made by Micron.
- Marianne Mulon, Origine et histoire des noms de famille : Essais d'anthroponymie, Editions Errance, Paris, 2002, coll. Des Hesperides, 196p.
|This page lists people with the surname D'Aoust. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|