D'Arcy Fowlis Hilton
|D'Arcy Fowlis Hilton|
|Born||17 October 1889
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Died||October 1973 (aged 83-84)
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
|Allegiance||George V of the British Empire|
|Years of service||1917 - ca. 1918|
|Unit||No. 29 Squadron RAF|
|Awards||Military Cross, Air Force Cross|
On 28 January 1914, he married Gladys Caroline Woodruff in St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada. They separated in 1916, after a son was born, and he went to England and joined the Royal Flying Corps in November. He was commissioned a second lieutenant on 21 November 1916.
World War I service
Hilton earned his Royal Aero Club Certificate No. 4717 on 17 May 1917. He was then assigned to fly a Nieuport 17 with 29 Squadron. On 31 July 1917, he destroyed an Albatros D.V fighter and an observation balloon. Over the next three and a half months, he proceeded to drive down out of control five more D.Vs and an observation plane, with the last victory coming on 13 November 1917. He was gazetted the Military Cross on 17 December 1917. Following his tour of combat, Fowler became a flight instructor in both England and Canada, and earned the Air Force Cross in the process.
Honors and awards
Military Cross (MC)
2nd/Lt. D'Arcy Fowlis Hilton, R.F.C., Spec. Res.
For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in attacking enemy aircraft and engaging troops on the ground. While on patrol he attacked single-handed six two-seater machines, forcing one down and driving the rest back. He has driven down five other machines. Supplement to the London Gazette, 23 April 1918 (30645/4871)
- Over the Front: A Complete Record of the Fighter Aces and Units of the United States and French Air Services, 1914-1918. p. 44.
- http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/canada/hilton.php Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- American Aces of World War 1. p. 42.
- http://www.elginogs.ca/newsindexes/timesjournal/sttdailytimes1914jan&feb.htm Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30431/supplements/13181/page.pdf Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30431/supplements/13182/page.pdf Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- Nieuport Aces of World War 1.. p. 22.
- https://archive.org/stream/JSCe59_1922_uoft/JSCe59_1922_uoft_djvu.txt Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/30645/supplements/4871/page.pdf Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- Nieuport Aces of World War 1. Norman Franks. Osprey Publishing, 2000. ISBN 1-85532-961-1, ISBN 978-1-85532-961-4.
- American Aces of World War 1 Harry Dempsey. Osprey Publishing, 2001. ISBN 1-84176-375-6, ISBN 978-1-84176-375-0.
- Over the Front: A Complete Record of the Fighter Aces and Units of the United States and French Air Services, 1914-1918 Norman L. R. Franks, Frank W. Bailey. Grub Street, 1992. ISBN 0-948817-54-2, ISBN 978-0-948817-54-0.