Dans le Noir ?
Dans Le Noir ? (French for "in the dark") is a chain of restaurants where guests are served in total darkness, a concept called dark dining or blind dining. "Dans le Noir ?" also diversified its activities into shops and spas.
Dans Le Noir was founded in 2004 in Paris by Edouard de Broglie, a French entrepreneur. Subsequent locations were opened in London, Barcelona, New York (closed since 2012), St. Petersburg, New Zealand, Melbourne Australia, and Nairobi. The London location is featured in a key scene in the 2013 movie About Time. The New York location closed in 2012.
"Dans Le Noir ?" claims that through limiting the sense of sight, other senses are intensified but also relations between people. Diners at "Dans Le Noir ?" have little knowledge of the entrées, appetizers, desserts, and wine choice of their meal, which is primarily inspired by French cuisine. Diners are served by either blind or visually impaired waitstaff. A percentage of the profits support charities in different countries.
In 2017, "Dans Le Noir ?" was listed as one of the most unusual restaurants in London, according to a popular social news site.
- "Is Romance Better In The Dark?". HuffPost UK. 2014-01-28. Retrieved 2018-08-07.
- "Didier Roche, fondateur du Spa Dans le Noir : «Transformer la différence en un atout» - Elle" (in French). 2011-09-22. Retrieved 2018-08-07.
- Fabricant, Florence (6 December 2011). "At Dans Le Noir, Dining in the Dark". The New York Times.
- "Dans le Noir ? experience is now closed in NYC". DansLeNoir.com. Archived from the original on 2014-08-04. Retrieved 2014-08-05.
- "Dark restaurant provides ray of hope for visually impaired". June 25, 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-06-27.
- ""Une fois qu'ils sont embauchés, j'oublie qu'ils sont handicapés"" [Once they're hired, I forget that they're handicapped]. L'Express (in French). 2014-10-22. Retrieved 2018-08-07.
- "Official website".
- "The most unusual restaurants in London". Top City Bites London.