Di Ba't Ikaw
|Di Ba't Ikaw|
|Created by||GMA Network|
|Developed by||Raquel Villavicencio|
|Directed by||Maryo J. de los Reyes|
Angelika dela Cruz
|Opening theme||"Di Ba't Ikaw"
by Jessa Zaragoza
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, Tagalog, English|
|No. of episodes||120 episodes + 1 special|
|Executive producer(s)||Lilybeth Rasonable|
|Location(s)||Metro Manila, Philippines
Imus, Cavite, Philippines
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||480i SDTV|
|Original release||May 17– October 29, 1999|
Di Ba't Ikaw (lit. Isn't It's You) is a drama series produced by GMA Network and directed by Maryo J. delos Reyes. The series featured Jessa Zaragoza, Angelika dela Cruz, Jao Mapa and Jomari Yllana as the lead cast. It was launched May 15, 1999 Saturday with 1 hour telecast (equivalent to 1 week episodes). It aired from May 17 to October 29, 1999. It replaced Del Tierro (Book 2) in Telebabad block under the production of TAPE Inc.
The story revolves around Hasmin (Jessa Zaragoza), a beautiful and brave young lady who lives and works at Hacienda Montecillo, owned by the powerful and cruel Don Victor Montecillo (Romeo Vasquez).
Don Victor's favorite son and heir, Junie Montecillo (Jao Mapa) falls in love with Hasmin, and so as Hasmin to Junie. Their love affair will be opposed by many, but the couple are determined to fight for their love. Until Hasmin learns that Don Victor was the one responsible for her mother's sudden death. Now, she is torn between her vow of revenge to the ruthless haciendero and her love for Junie.
Cast of characters
- Jessa Zaragoza as Hasmin Cardenas - A pretty, brave but illiterate young woman who lives and works at Hacienda Montecillo. Hasmin lived almost all her life enduring the cruelties of her drunkard and lazy father, Domeng. Ever since childhood, Hasmin has longed for a father's love and care—things that Domeng can't give. Instead, he molds Hasmin to avenge to the one responsible for her mother's early death—Don Victor Montecillo. Things become more complicated to Hasmin when she falls in love with the latter's son, Junie. What will she choose between love and vengeance?
- Jao Mapa as Victor "Junie" Montecillo, Jr. - The youngest son of Don Victor Montecillo and Doña Amelia Montecillo. A submissive son. A supportive brother. He is a man burdened by family duties. Trained to be the next in charge of Hacienda Montecillo. One fateful day, he meets an accident while strolling around the sugarcane field. Here he meets Hasmin, the one who saves his life. The two became friends and eventually fall in love with each other. But how far will they go for love when everyone around them opposes their relationship?
- Jomari Yllana as Paolo Montecillo - The eldest son of Don Victor Montecillio and Doña Amelia Montecillo. Greedy, rebellious and taking everything for granted. Jealous with the love and attentions his parents are giving to his younger brother, Paolo plots to end Junie's life.
- Romeo Vasquez as Don Victor Montecillo - The patriarch of the powerful Montecillo clan. Ruthless, greedy, domineering and womanizer. In his past, he fell in love with Anita, a poor worker in their hacienda. His father strongly opposed their relationship. Choiceless, the young then abandoned Anita, not knowing that the latter is pregnant. He marries Amelia, a daughter of another businessman . Their marriage aimed at two purposes: to braoden their business empire and to save Amelia 's honor.
- Pilar Pilapil as Doña Amelia Montecillo - The wife of Don Victor Montecillo. Greedy and arrogant. Money is the compass that ruled her life, taking her on different roads and opportunities. But it also made her a victim of great deception, humiliations and sufferings.
- Edu Manzano as Guiller - Saling's long, lost son who harbors hatred towards the Montecillos.
- Ciara Sotto as Grace Montecillo - The youngest child of Don Victor Montecillo and Doña Amelia Montecillo. A pampered, high-class young lady who never experienced any hardships in life... not until she met Alex. They coincidentally runs into each other and sense that they share a kind of connection. They easily fall in love with each other. Things go astray, though, when they find out that they are really... "connected".
- Angelika dela Cruz as Eloisa - Domeng's daughter to ex-flame Helen. She's a sweet and kind-hearted girl—totally opposite of her mother.
- Daria Ramirez as Saling - The very loyal servant in the mansion of the Montecillos.
- Julio Diaz as Domeng Cardenas - Hasmin Cardenas' drunkard, lazy and cruel father. He was once a loving person. But things change when his wife, Anita dies. This unfortunate event turned Domeng into a monster. He blames the whole world for all the misfortunes that happening in his life, including his daughter Hasmin.
- Ali Sotto/Jean Saburit as Karina Latada - Victor Montecillo's mistress and the mother of Alexander. Tough and deceitful. She is a biggest threat for Doña Amelia. She also has a big part in Hasmin's plan of revenge to the Montecillos.
- Gabby Eigenmann as Alexander "Alex" Montecillo - Don Victor Montecillo's son to Karina Latada. Care-free and playboy. But all things change when he meets Grace. They met in an unexpected place and time... and love sparks easily between them. But their budding romance cut short when they both learned the saddest truth about their blood connection.
- Jake Roxas as Berting - Hasmin's loyal friend and confidante who also harbors a special feelings toward the childhood friend.
- Matthew Mendoza as Dave
- Trina Zuñiga as Celia
- Melissa Mendez as Helen
- Maricar de Mesa as Carla
- Jackie de Guzman as Anita
- Francis Ricafort as Alvin
- Spanky Manikan as Celia's father
- Xaxa Manalo - Celia's friend
- Di Ba't Ikaw was Jao Mapa and Angelika dela Cruz's first project under GMA.
- Aside from the theme song Di Ba't Ikaw, the show also used some other Jessa Zaragoza's hit songs like, Bakit Pa?, Paano Kaya? and Baliw Na Puso, which were all under OctoArts EMI.
- List of programs broadcast by GMA Network
- List of programs aired by GMA Network
- List of telenovelas of GMA Network
- Veteran stars upstage young actors in GMA-7's new soap, http://www.inquirer.net/saturday/may99wk5/spc_3.htm