Don't Let the Rain Come Down (Crooked Little Man)
|"Don't Let the Rain Come Down (Crooked Little Man)"|
|Single by The Serendipity Singers|
|from the album The Serendipity Singers|
Reissues credit Ersel Hickey, Ed E. Miller
"Don't Let the Rain Come Down (Crooked Little Man)" was a folk music single, the debut recording by the Serendipity Singers in 1964. The song was based on the English nursery rhyme "There Was a Crooked Man".
The song was first recorded as "Crooked Little House" by Jimmie Rodgers in 1960, on his album At Home with Jimmie Rodgers - An Evening of Folk Songs, on which the songwriting was credited to Ersel Hickey and Ed E. Miller.
In 1964, it was recorded by the Serendipity Singers in a calypso music based adaptation and arrangement by the group's musical director Bob Bowers with group members Bryan Sennett and John Madden. It reached #2 on the U.S. Adult Contemporary chart and #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 in May 1964. "Don't Let the Rain Come Down" topped the 17 April 1964 WLS Silver Dollar Survey, in the middle of Beatlemania. It was released on their debut album, The Serendipity Singers. The single's Philips catalog code was 40175. Later reissues of the Serendipity Singers' recording credited Hickey and Miller as the song's writers. In a "My Music, Folk Rewind" video, the group's nine members appear as three groups of three, with each group singing its particular verse; all nine members sing in each repetition of the chorus.
The song was also covered by The Brothers Four on their album More Big Folk Hits; Trini Lopez on The Folk Album (1965); and Ronnie Hilton, whose version was a hit in the UK, peaking at #21 in 1964.
- "At Home with Jimmie Rodgers - An Evening of Folk Songs ", SecondhandSongs.com. Retrieved 18 March 2018
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 210.
- "SILVER DOLLAR SURVEY, APRIL 17, 1964". users.qwest.net. 2000. Retrieved May 5, 2011.
- Bruce Eder, Review of Don't Let The Rain Come Down: The Best of the Serendipity Singers, Allmusic.com. Retrieved 18 March 2018
- "Crooked Little Man (Don't Let the Rain Come Down) ", SecondhandSongs.com. Retrieved 18 March 2018