Veal with the Chicago White Sox
Long Island Ducks – No. 17
September 18, 1984 |
|April 7, 2009 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through May 31, 2015)
|Earned run average||5.48|
Veal was drafted by the Chicago Cubs in the second round of the 2005 Major League Baseball Draft out of Pima Community College in Tucson, Arizona. Veal had previously pitched in the Pac-10 for the University of Arizona, before transferring.
Before the 2009 season, Veal was left unprotected by the Cubs, and was selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 2008 Rule 5 draft. He spent the 2009 season on the Pirates' major league roster gaining experience in the bullpen, largely in a late-inning mop-up role.
After beginning 2010 with the Class AAA Indianapolis Indians, Veal was sidelined with an arm injury in late May. It was further diagnosed that he would require Tommy John surgery and missed the remainder of the season.
Chicago White Sox
Veal signed a minor league deal with the Atlanta Braves on November 10, 2014. He was called up on April 30, 2015, and designated for assignment five days later.  He was called back up on May 27 and designated for assignment again on June 1. Veal was released on June 8th.
Long Island Ducks
Veal signed with the Long Island Ducks on July 10, 2015.
Veal throws mainly two pitches—a four-seam fastball at 91–94 mph, used to set up a curveball at 77–79 mph. He also throws a small amount of changeups to right-handed hitters, as well has a handful of two-seam fastballs. As of September 10, 2012[update], Veal's excellent curve has resulted in most of his strikeouts carries a whiff rate of 49%, as well as a ground ball/fly ball ratio of 7:1.
- Langosch, Jenifer (February 21, 2009). "Pirates get to try out Rule 5 pick Veal". MLB.com. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- Gonzales, Mark (November 10, 2011). "Sox sign left-handers Veal, Quintana". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- "White Sox bring up Putnam and cut Veal". Associated Press. ESPN.com. April 17, 2014. Retrieved April 18, 2014.
- "Braves reach deals with Almonte, Wang and Veal". Gwinnett Daily Post. November 10, 2014. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- Cunningham, Michael (30 April 2015). "Braves call up lefty Veal for bullpen help". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- "Braves designate Veal for assignment, recall Cunniff". ESPN.com. Associated Press. May 5, 2015. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- Bowman, Mark (May 5, 2015). "Braves recall Cunniff, DFA Veal". MLB.com. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Bowman, Mark (June 1, 2015). "Braves DFA Veal, recall righty reliever Martin". MLB.com. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Donald Veal". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved 10 September 2012.