|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (June 2015)|
|Place of origin||United States|
|Designer||Raymond Kohout |
|Manufacturer||DoubleTap Defense, LLC|
|Weight||0.340 kg (0.75 lb) |
|Length||5.5 in (14 cm) |
|Barrel length||3 in (7.6 cm) |
|Width||0.665 in (1.69 cm) |
|Height||3.9 in (9.9 cm) |
.45 ACP 
The DoubleTap is a double-barreled derringer pistol designed for personal protection and manufactured by DoubleTap Defense, LLC. The name comes from the double tap shooting technique in which two rounds are quickly fired before engaging the next target. Heizer Defense has stated that they drew inspiration from the FP-45 Liberator pistol which was designed for use in France by the resistance against the Germans during World War II.
While the DoubleTap does have two barrels, both rounds are not fired simultaneously as the ATF stance was that any weapon firing more than one round per trigger pull was considered a machine gun. This stance has since been reversed, and firearms which shoot multiple projectiles at the same time are no longer considered machine guns. The DoubleTap fires the first round on the first trigger pull and the second round on the next trigger pull, thus delivering a double tap.
The DoubleTap is unique in that it carries two chambered rounds, one in each barrel. It also carries two additional rounds in the grip which allow for reloading. The ambidextrous thumb latch releases the action and ejects the spent rounds so that the two backup rounds can be loaded.
The weapon features a patent pending double-action ball bearing trigger system. Additional features include a mil-spec frame made of either titanium or aluminum and a hammer-less, no-snag design to facilitate easy draw.
The DoubleTap was originally marketed under the name Heizer DoubleTap but in October 2012 DoubleTap Defense announced that they were looking for a new partner to manufacture the pistol. In a statement released on November 7, Heizer Defense stated that the business relationship with the creators of the DoubleTap had never materialized as the economics proposed "did not forecast a successful business relationship." A month later, it was announced that Azimuth Technology in Naples, Florida had been selected to manufacture the pistol.
- "Heizer Defense Unveils The DoubleTap" (PDF). Heizer Defense LLC. 10 October 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Introducing DoubleTap". Heizer Defense LLC. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Introducing the Diminutive Heizer DoubleTap". Guns & Ammo. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- S., Jeremy (2013-07-01). "Gun Review: DoubleTap Tactical Pocket Pistol". The Truth About Guns. Retrieved 2016-09-05.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". Heizer Defense LLC. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "Announcement". Heizer Defense LLC. 7 November 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "Technology". Heizer Defense LLC. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- Burgess, Laura (7 November 2012). "DoubleTap Defense Chooses Azimuth Technology LLC as manufacturing partner" (PDF). Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- Heizer, Charles (7 November 2012). "Announcement Letter" (PDF). Heizer Defense. Retrieved 27 December 2012.