|Submission declined on 14 August 2021 by talk). (|
This submission's references do not show that the subject qualifies for a Wikipedia article—that is, they do not show significant coverage (not just passing mentions) about the subject in published, reliable, secondary sources that are independent of the subject (see the guidelines on the notability of people). Before any resubmission, additional references meeting these criteria should be added (see technical help and learn about mistakes to avoid when addressing this issue). If no additional references exist, the subject is not suitable for Wikipedia.
Declined by 2 months ago. Last edited by Citation bot 27 days ago. Reviewer: Inform author.
Providence, Rhode Island
|Alma mater||Providence College, Boston University|
|Doctoral advisor||Michael D. Papagiannis|
Michael Mendillo is a professor of astronomy at Boston University. His primary research interests include space physics, planetary atmospheres, observations and models. He is a Fellow of the American Geophysical Union. 
Mendillo became a professor of astronomy at Boston University in 1985, where he works presently.
Mendillo leads a research group that has developed new imaging techniques for observations of emissions from the atmospheres of the Earth, planets and moons. With the help of his research group, Mendillo led the discoveries of extraordinary large, tenuous atmospheres of sodium gas on Jupiter, on the Earth's moon and in comet Hale-Bopp. He is also known for his work on Active Experiments, the research technique of introducing known gaseous perturbations into space plasmas, observing the effects, and deriving the basic physical processes that govern the system.
- Mendillo, M (2006). "Storms in the Ionosphere: Patterns and Processes for Total Electron Content". Reviews of Geophysics. 47 (4). Bibcode:2006RvGeo..44.4001M. doi:10.1029/2005RG000193. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
- Martinis, Carlos; Mendillo, Michael; Aarons, J (2005). "Toward a synthesis of equatorial spread-F (ESF) onset and suppression during geomagnetic storms" (PDF). Journal of Geophysical Research. 110. doi:10.1029/2003JA010362. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
- Mendillo, Michael; Laurent, Sophie; Wilson, Jody; Baumgardner, Jeffrey; Konrad, Janusz; Karl, W (2007). "The sources of sodium escaping from Io revealed by spectral high definition imaging". Nature. 448 (7151): 330–332. Bibcode:2007Natur.448..330M. doi:10.1038/nature06000. PMID 17637664. S2CID 4363671. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
- Mendillo, Michael; Withers, Paul; Hinson, David; Rishbeth, Henry; Reinisch, Bobo (2006). "Effects of solar flares on the ionosphere of Mars". Science. 311 (5764): 1135–1138. Bibcode:2006Sci...311.1135M. doi:10.1126/science.1122099. PMID 16497929. S2CID 8164778. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
- Mendillo, Michael; Baumgardner, Jeffrey (1995). "Contraints on the origin of the Moon's atmosphere from observations during a solar eclipse". Nature. 377 (6548): 404–406. doi:10.1038/377404a0. PMID 7566115. S2CID 4332773. Retrieved 18 September 2021.
- Mendillo, M (2005). "Effects of ring shadowing on the detection of electrostatic discharges at Saturn" (PDF). Geophysical Research Letters. 32 (5). Bibcode:2005GeoRL..32.5107M. doi:10.1029/2004GL021934. Retrieved 18 September 2021.
- Schmidt, Carl; Wilson, Jody; Baumgardne, Jeffrey; Mendillo, Michael (2010). "Orbital effects on Mercury's escaping sodium exosphere". Icarus. 207 (1): 9–16. Bibcode:2010Icar..207....9S. doi:10.1016/j.icarus.2009.10.017. Retrieved 18 September 2021.
- "Michael Mendillo". BU Center for Space Physics. Retrieved 30 July 2021.
- Tinch, Crystal. "AAS Member Anniversaries in 2017". AAS. Retrieved 5 August 2021.
- "Michael Mendillo". BU Public Relations. Retrieved 31 July 2021.
- Sahai, Y; Bettencourt, JB; Takahashi, T; Mendillo, M (1990). "Comparison of Low-Latitude Ionospheric Model with Observations of OI 6300 Emission and Ionospheric Parameters" (PDF). Planet. Space Sci. 38 (10): 1243. Bibcode:1990P&SS...38.1243S. doi:10.1016/0032-0633(90)90129-E. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
- Mendillo, Michael; Semeter, Joshua (September 1997). "A Nonlinear Optimization Technique for Ground-Based Atmospheric Emission Tomography" (PDF). IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. 35 (5): 1105. Bibcode:1997ITGRS..35.1105S. doi:10.1109/36.628779. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
|Review waiting, please be patient.
This may take 7 weeks or more, since drafts are reviewed in no specific order. There are 1,760 pending submissions waiting for review.