27 April 1962 |
|Alma mater||Namilyango College
(Uganda Certificate of Education)
(Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education)
(Bachelor of Statistics)
(MA Economic Policy & Planning)
|Years active||1990s — present|
|Known for||Investments, Wealth|
|Title||Chief Executive Officer
Quality Chemical Industries Limited
Emmanuel Katongole is a Ugandan statistician, economist, businessman, entrepreneur, industrialist and philanthropist. He currently serves as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Cipla Quality Chemical Industries Limited (CQCIL). CQCIL is the only company in Sub-Saharan Africa, that is authorized to manufacture triple-combination anti retroviral drugs. Since 2014, he concurrently serves as the chairman of the Uganda National Oil Company.
He attended Namilyango College for his O Level and A Level education. He studied at Makerere University, Uganda's largest and oldest public university, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Statistics (B.Stat). His Master of Arts in Economic Policy and Planning (MA.EPP) was also obtained from Makerere University. He has attended numerous other short-term courses in Economics, Statistics and Management, from institutions in Uganda and Europe. 
In 1997, Emmanuel Katongole along with (a) Randall Tierney (b) Edward Martin (c) Francis X. Kitaka (d) Frederick Mutebi Kitaka and (e) George Baguma, founded a company called Quality Chemicals Limited (QCL). The company specialized in the importation of generic veterinary and human pharmaceuticals from India. Katongole served as Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer as well as shareholder from 1997 until 2007. In 2004, QCL convinced Cipla, the Indian drug maker, to form a joint venture and set up a pharmaceutical factory in Uganda. Ground was broken in 2005 and the factory was commissioned in 2007. The joint venture is known as Quality Chemical Industries Limited. Katongole served as the Chief Executive Officer of QCIL from 2007 until 2013. In November 2013, Cipla took a controlling majority interest in QCIL, renaming the company CIPLAQCIL and appointing Katongole the Executive Chairman of the company. He remains a shareholder in the business. In July 2014, President Yoweri Museveni appointed Katongole to serve as Chairman of the Uganda National Oil Company.
Emmanuel Katongole owns the following businesses either wholly or in part:
- Vero Food Industries Limited - Located at Kampala's Industrial and Business Park, Namanve, Wakiso District
- Tinosoft Limited - An Information Technology company, located in Kampala
- Quality Chemical Industries Limited - A manufacturer of antimalarial and antiretroviral medications; located in Luzira, Kampala
He is a member of the Initiative for Global Development (IGD) - Frontier 100, a group that joins the most successful business leaders operating in frontier markets, with business leaders from Europe and the United States. The Governing Council of IGD is co-chaired by Madeleine Albright and General Colin L. Powell, both former secretaries of State of the United States of America. Emmanuel Katongole is Rotarian and is a member of the Rotary Club of Muyenga. He has also served as the District Governor for Rotary District 9211, which comprises Tanzania and Uganda. In August 2014, Emmanuel Katongole was named Chairman of the Uganda National Oil Company
- Monitor Reporter, . (18 October 2013). "Emmanuel Katongole: The Founder of Quality Chemicals". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- Mutenza, Willy (12 November 2011). "Interview: Emmanuel Katongole, Chief Executive Officer of Cipla Quality Chemicals Industries Limited". London: The Promota Magazine. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- Nalubega, Flavia (16 April 2016). "Uganda: Petroleum Directorate Formed As Oil Institutions Begin to Take Shape". Kampala: Oil In Uganda via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Byaruhanga, Catherine (9 April 2012). "Making Drugs Into Profit In Uganda". BBC News. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Kitaka, The Brain Behind Africa's First ARVs Factory". New Vision. Kampala. 31 October 2007. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- CQCIL, . (30 November 2013). "Board of Directors - Emmanuel Katongole: Executive Chairman". CIPLAQCIL (CQCIL). Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- Tumusiime, Abdulaziizi K. (13 July 2014). "Rotary work got me oil job, says Katongole". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Musoke, Ronald (28 August 2014). "Uganda: Oil Reserves Now Estimated At 6.5 Billion Barrels". The Independent (Uganda) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 29 March 2014.