He wrote Über die Palpen der Rhopalocera: Ein Beitrag zur Erkenntnis der verwandtschaftlichen Beziehungen unter den Tagfaltern, an important work on the classificaation of lepidoptera in which some higher level taxa are erected.
"In 1868 Haeckel had given his first edition of the natural history of creation and this work, more than any other, made Darwinism to a generally accepted world view… Reuter’s dissertation carries a label of its time. It is a typical phylogenetic handling, inspired by Haeckel’s spirit that at the close of the century totally dominated the biological research."
- Federley, H. 1951. Enzio Rafael Reuter. Memoranda Soc. Fauna Flora Fennica, 27: 170–180.
- Howard, L. O. 1930. History of applied Entomology (Somewhat Anecdotal). Smiths. Miscell. Coll. 84 X+1–564.
- Osborn, H. 1952. A Brief History of Entomology Including Time of Demosthenes and Aristotle to Modern Times with over Five Hundred Portraits. Columbus, Ohio, The Spahr & Glenn Company. Pp. 1–303.
- Silfverberg, H. 1995. [Reuter, E.] Memoranda Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica 71:39–49.
- Federley H., 1951.
- Biography in Finnish. Portrait.