Dennis Martínez National Stadium
The stadium was built in 1948 and is Nicaragua's national stadium. It is used mainly for baseball but also serves as a venue for concerts, football, religious events and has a capacity of 30,100 people. It is the home stadium of Indios del Bóer baseball team and Deportivo Walter Ferretti football team. Inside the stadium is a hall of fame near the entrance showing medals, cups, photos and memories of Nicaraguan players. There is also a gym located inside.
The stadium has been renamed three times. Built in 1948, it was originally named "El Estadio Nacional" (The National Stadium). After the 1972 earthquake that struck Managua and destroyed 90% of the city, it was rebuilt and renamed after Anastasio Somoza García. In 1979, after the Sandinistas overthrew the Somoza dynasty, it was renamed in honor of Rigoberto López Pérez, the man who, in 1956, assassinated Anastasio Somoza García. On November 20, 1998, the 50th anniversary of the founding of the stadium, then-President Arnoldo Alemán issued a decree changing the stadium's name to Estadio Nacional Dennis Martínez. Dennis Martínez, was Major League Baseball's first Nicaraguan-born player.
- : Fedefutbol.net - Federaciones Internacionales de Fútbol :
- National Stadium: Baseball matches and more (Managua, Nicaragua)
- El Nuevo Diario - Estadio Nacional ¿Denis Martínez?
- Denis Martínez National Baseball Stadium, Nicaragua
- "Baseball Stadium Gets New Name". Revista Envío. Retrieved 2007-11-05.
- Clem's Baseball ~ Estadio Dennis Martinez
|This article about a sports venue in Nicaragua is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a baseball venue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|