Comenius University, Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Informatics
The Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Informatics (In Slovak: Fakulta matematiky, fyziky a informatiky, colloquially referred to as Matfyz) is one of the faculties of the Comenius University in Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia.
The Faculty was created in 1980 by separating from the Faculty of Natural Sciences, having the name Faculty of Mathematics and Physics (Matematicko-fyzikálna fakulta). It was renamed to contemporary name in 2000.
As a rule, in each of the mathematics, physics and computer science branches the first and the second year are common and from the third year students can choose different specializations.
The main specializations offered in mathematics are:
- Mathematical Analysis
- Numerical Analysis and Optimalization
- Probability and Mathematical Statistics
- Mathematical Structures
- Computer Graphics and Geometry.
The students of mathematics can choose in addition to their main specialization minor one, for example Econometry and Control, Actuarial Mathematics or Computer Science for Mathematicians.
Students of mathematics can decide also for 2 special branches differing since the first year of study:
- Economical and Financial Mathematics, and
- Mathematics and Management (this branch being provided together with the Faculty of Management).
Physics offers the following specializations:
- Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Biophysics and Molecular Physics
- Plasma Physics
- Solid State Physics
- Nuclear and Subnuclear Physics
- Meteorology and Climatology
- Optics and Optoelectronics
- Theoretical and Mathematical Physics
- Applied Physics.
Students of Physics can also follow 2 special branches since the first year of study:
- Environmental Physics, and
- Biomedical Physics that is provided together with the Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University.
The study of Computer Science offers specializations in two principal areas:
- Theoretical Computer Science (Department of Computer Science, FPMI, Comenius University),
- Applied Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence, Computer Graphics, Programming Systems).
Teacher training forms a separate group of study. The students can choose a combination of 2 subjects from the following list: Mathematics and Physics, Mathematics and Informatics, Mathematics and Descriptive Geometry, Mathematics and Physical Education, Physics and Informatics, Physics and English, Physics and Electronics. Physical Education instruction is provided by the Faculty of Physical Education and Sports and English is provided by the Faculty of Arts. Special teacher training is also offered for those graduates of FMPI following a non-teaching course of study who are interested in gaining the Teacher Certificates for secondary schools.
After the first year in all basic branches, the students can choose the corresponding bachelor branche of study. Single specializations of bachelor study are: Mathematical Methods in Economy, Experimental Methods of Physics and Software Development. These branches enable to attain the Bachelor of Science degree after 3 years of study.