Fellowship Farm Cooperative Association
The farm was inaugurated on Thanksgiving Day in 1912. 263 acres (1.06 km2) of active farmland was purchased by Ernest H. Liebel from J. C. Letson in Stelton and each member was leased 1-acre (4,000 m2) of land. The project was supervised by G. E. Littlefield of Massachusetts. An advertisement was placed in the New York Call to attract people to the project. Samuel Goldman (1882-1969) began building the Goldman House in the Modern School colony in 1915. Also in 1915 members of the Ferrer movement bought adjacent land and started the Ferrer Colony and Modern School and they would eventually share a cooperative store.
- Map: Coordinates:
- Perdita Buchan (2007). Utopia, New Jersey: travels in the nearest Eden.
The largely German, and German-speaking, socialist Fellowship Farm Cooperative Association had first met formally on Thanksgiving Day, 1912, ...
- Maxine N. Lurie and Marc Mappen. Encyclopedia of New Jersey. Rutgers University Press.
In the early twentieth century, the area became home to two experimental communities: the Fellowship Farm Cooperative Association, and the Ferrer Colony
- Peter Genovese. New Jersey Curiosities: Quirky Characters, Roadside Oddities & Other Offbeat.
- "... New Jersey Co-operative Farm" (PDF). The New York Times. November 7, 1912. Retrieved 2009-09-25.
- New Jersey, a Guide to Its Present and Past. Federal Writers' Project.
The group had formed the Fellowship Farm Cooperative Association, under which each member leased and ...
- Mark Sceurman. Weird NJ. Weird NJ.
Goldman built 143 School Street in 1915 in an anarchist community known as the Ferrar Colony and Modern School. Most of the street names in the commune reflected the ideals and ...
- Randall Gabrielan. Piscataway Township.
Sculptor Samuel Goldman built his house at 141 School Street with his own hands. It was an eclectic series of assembled cubes. ...
- Mark Moran and Mark Sceurman. Uncle Sam's House, Anarchy in Piscataway. Weird NJ.
- Laurence R. Veysey. The communal experience: anarchist and mystical communities in twentieth ...
In later years a cooperative store was maintained jointly by the two colonies, and there are scattered reports of Fellowship Farm colonists attending ...