|Fw Project VII Flitzer|
|Wartime model of the Project VII design|
|Number built||One mockup built and a few prototype sub-assemblies completed|
The estimated horizontal speed was not satisfactory and in the next development, Project VII, the jet intakes were situated in the wing roots. Further improvements over Project VI were a narrower fuselage and a changed pilot's canopy. In order to improve the rate of climb, a Walter HWK 109-509 hypergolic liquid-propellant rocket was built in to give supplementary thrust. A complete mockup was built and all construction and assembly plans were finished, but the aircraft was not accepted by the Reich Air Ministry (Reichsluftfahrtministerium, RLM).
Specifications (design draft of 15 September 1944)
Data from
- Crew: one pilot
- Length: 10.55 m (34 ft 7 in)
- Wingspan: 8.00 m (26 ft 3 in)
- Height: 2.35 m (7 ft 8 in)
- Wing area: 17.0 m2 (183 ft2)
- Empty weight: 2,730 kg (6,018 lb)
- Gross weight: 4,350 kg (9,589 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Heinkel HeS 011 turbojet, 14.7 kN (3,306 lbf) thrust
- 1 × Walter HWK 109-509 rocket, 16.7 kN (3,750 lbf) thrust
- Maximum speed: 955 km/h (593 mph)
- Endurance: 1 hours 50 min
- Service ceiling: 13,000 m (42,500 ft)
- Rate of climb: 18.2 m/s (3,600 ft/min)
Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- Focke-Wulf Project VII Flitzer
- Myhra, David (1998). Secret Aircraft Designs of the Third Reich. Atglen: Schiffer. pp. 141–42.
- Lens, K.; H. J. Nowarra (1964). Die Deutschen Flugzeuge. Munich: J F Lehmans Verlag.
- Nowarra, Heinz (1983). Die deutsche Luftrüstung 1933–1945. Bonn: Bernard and Graefe. pp. Teil 2, p.117.
- Masters, David (1982). German Jet Genesis. London: Jane's Publishing.
- Schick, Walter; Ingolf Meyer (1997). Luftwaffe Secret Projects: Fighters 1939–1945. Hinckley: Midland Publishing. pp. 143–44.
- Smith, J. R. (1973). Focke-Wulf: An Aircraft Album. London: Ian Allan.
- Smith, J. R.; A. Kay (1972). German Aircraft of the Second World War. London: Putnam.
- Wagner, Wolfgang (1980). Kurt Tank: Konstruckteur und Test Pilot bei Focke-Wulf. Munich: Bernard and Graefe.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Focke-Wulf Flitzer.|
- Proyectos inconclusos de la aeronáutica alemana de la S.G.M. (In Spanish)
- Luftwaffe Projects (In Russian)