French frigate La Motte-Picquet
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Namesake:||Toussaint-Guillaume Picquet de la Motte|
|Laid down:||12 February 1982|
|Launched:||6 February 1985|
|Commissioned:||18 February 1988|
|Status:||in active service|
|Class and type:||Georges Leygues-class frigate|
|Length:||139 m (456 ft 0 in)|
|Beam:||14 m (45 ft 11 in)|
|Height:||39.36 m (129 ft 2 in)|
|Draught:||5.8 m (19 ft 0 in)|
La Motte-Picquet is a F70 type anti-submarine frigate of the French Marine Nationale. She is the fourth French vessel named after the 18th Century admiral count Toussaint-Guillaume Picquet de la Motte. As of January 2012[update] she is serving in the Persian Gulf.
She left Brest on 9 November 2011 for active duty in the Indian Ocean and was refuelled by the US replenishment ship USNS Patuxent on 10 January 2012. On 22 January she passed through the Straits of Hormuz with the British frigate HMS Argyll and a US battlegroup centred on the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln.
In November 2015, a French Navy press release stated that La Motte-Picquet will be part of the Charles de Gaulle task force launching strikes against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant starting January 2016.
Tracking Russian warships
La Motte-Picquet will be part of the Anglo-French CJEF exercise.
The F70 type frigates are equipped with a Variable Depth Sonar type DUBV43 or DUBV43C.
Gunnery crew of La Motte-Picquet, in front of the Crotale anti-air missile launcher
- "Un pétrolier américain ravitaille la frégate La Motte-Picquet". French Ministry of Defence. 11 January 2012.
- Stringer, David (24 January 2012). "UK could send more navy assets to Strait of Hormuz". Associated Press.
- "Mission Arromanches 2 : Déploiment du GAN en Méditerranée orientale et dans l'Océan Indien". colsbleus.fr (in French). 18 November 2015. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- "HMS Somerset's tsar turn as she spends Easter monitoring Russian task group". Royal Navy. 30 March 2016. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "UK and France launch rapid deployment exercise". Ministry of Defence (United Kingdom). 10 April 2016. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Frégate La Motte-Picquet on netmarine.net
- Media related to La Motte-Picquet (D645) at Wikimedia Commons