French frigate Manche (1806)
Hortense, sister-ship of Manche
|Ordered:||6 October 1803 and 30 January 1806|
|Builder:||Cherbourg Dockyard (Constructeur: Jacques Bonard)|
|Laid down:||May 1804|
|Launched:||5 April 1806|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||Hortense-class frigate|
|Displacement:||1390 tons (French)|
|Length:||48.75 m (159.9 ft)|
|Beam:||12.2 m (40 ft)|
|Draught:||5.9 m (19 ft)|
Action during Mauritius campaign of 1809-1811
On 26 April 1809, Manche departed Port-Napoléon  in a squadron under Captain Hamelin, along with Créole and Vénus. The squadron managed to re-take Foulpointe in Madagascar, captured three prizes at the Action of 18 November 1809, and raided the British settlement at Tarapouly, in Sumatra.
- Winfield and Roberts (2015), p.144.
- Fonds marine.
- Correspondance de Napoléon
- La Manche, frégate française : 1803-1810, Roger Lepelley, 1989 
- HAMELIN Emmanuel, amiral, baron (1768-1839)
- Une mission à l'Isle de France
- Winfield, Rif & Stephen S Roberts (2015) French Warships in the Age of Sail 1786 - 1861: Design Construction, Careers and Fates. (Seaforth Publishing). ISBN 9781848322042