Gideon J. Mellenbergh
|Gideon J. Mellenbergh|
Don Mellenbergh, 2009
August 9, 1938 |
|Institutions||University of Amsterdam|
|Alma mater||University of Amsterdam|
|Thesis||Studies on educational tests (1971)|
|Doctoral advisor||Adriaan de Groot|
|Doctoral students||87 students; Herman J. Adèr, Henk van der Flier, Joop Hox, Edith de Leeuw|
Gideon Jan (Don) Mellenbergh (born 9 August 1938) is a Dutch psychologist, and Emeritus Professor of Psychological methods at the University of Amsterdam, known for his contribution in the field of psychometrics, and Social Research Methodology.
Born and raised in Amsterdam, Mellenbergh received his MA in psychology from the University of Amsterdam in 1965, and his PhD in psychology in 1971 under the supervision of Professor Adriaan de Groot with a dissertation about educational tests, entitled "Studies in studietoetsen" (Studies on educational tests).
In 1965 Mellenbergh started his academic career as Assistant professor Psychological Methods at the University of Amsterdam. Late 1969 he was visiting research assistant at the University of Chicago, studying educational methods. From 1975 to 1978 he was Associate professor Psychometrics at the University of Utrecht, and then returned to the University of Amsterdam where he was Professor, Psychological Methods from 1982 to 2003. In 1991 and 1993 he had been Visiting professor at the University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
Mellenbergh performed many administrative functions in Dutch research institutes, was member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW), the Psychometric Society, the American Psychological Association (APA), the International Statistical Institute (ISI), and the Interuniversity Graduate School of Psychometrics and Sociometrics (IOPS). And Mellenbergh was editor at Psychometrika, on the editorial Board of Psychological Methods and member of the editorial council of Psicothema.
Books and papers, a selection:
- 1970. An Application of a Model of Rasch
- 1999. Research Methodology in the Social, Behavioural and Life Sciences. With Herman J. Ader
- 2008 Advising on Research Methods: a consultant's companion. With Herman J. Adèr and David J. Hand (eds.). Johannes van Kessel Publ. p. 244.
- 2011. A Conceptual Introduction to Psychometrics
Articles, a selection:
- Flier, H., Mellenbergh, G. J., Adèr, H. J., & Wijn, M. (1984). An iterative item bias detection method. Journal of educational measurement, 21(2), 131-145.
- Gideon J. Mellenbergh, webpage at the University of Amsterdam.