G. K. Hall & Co.
|Founder||Garrison Kent Hall|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Boston, Massachusetts|
G. K. Hall & Co. is an American book publisher based in Boston. It was founded sometime in the late 1950s by Garrison Kent Hall (1917–1973), who also had been an accountant. The firm initially, in the late 1950s through the 1960s, produced catalogs, in print and microform, of collections of renowned libraries – notably the New York Public Library. In the 1960s, Betty Jensen Hall’s new marketing strategy increased profits markedly and the firm expanded, producing other library references in the sciences, humanities, fine arts, and music. Beginning in 1971, two years after being acquired by ITT, the firm became a leading pioneer of publishing large-print editions of best-selling fiction and non-fiction books. In 1972 it acquired Gregg Press the scholarly reprint company. In 1973 it acquired Twayne Publishers. In 1989 it acquired Sandak, the art slide publisher. In 1990 it acquired Thorndike Press, its main American large print competitor.
Succession of ownership
G. K. Hall was founded sometime in the 1950s and was incorporated in Massachusetts in December 1962. The company was acquired by ITT in September 1969 and sold to Macmillan Publishing in 1985. In 1990, Macmillan was acquired by Robert Maxwell, and in 1991 its order processing and shipping functions were moved to Riverside, N.J., its editorial and marketing functions distributed to other divisions, and its Boston office was closed. In 1999, G. K. Hall became an imprint of Thomson Gale when Gale acquired its parent, Macmillan Reference USA.
Selected library references
- Bibliographic Guide to Theatre Arts (1976)
- Catalog of the Theatre and drama collections, 1967–1989; OCLC 469347178
- Dictionary Catalog of the History of the Americas, compiled by the New York Public Library, Reference Department, G.K. Hall & Co. (1961); OCLC 845713, 488981404, 562179553, OCLC 235669094
- Compiled volumes
- Loose compiled volumes
- Single volumes
- Vol. 1: A–M; OCLC 165125948
- Vol. 2: An–Ba; OCLC 165126132
- Vol. 3: Be–Brov; OCLC 165126436
- Vol. 4: Brow–Car; OCLC 165126450
- Vol. 5: Cas–Colt; OCLC 165126458
- Vol. 6: Colu–Dec; OCLC 165126463
- Vol. 7: Ded–E; OCLC 165126471
- Vol. 8: F–Ga; OCLC 165126477
- Vol. 9: Ge–Hall; OCLC 165126482
- Vol. 10: Halo–Inc; OCLC 165126490
- Vol. 11: Ind–Indians; OCLC 165126495
- Vol. 12: Indians–J; OCLC 165126505
- Vol. 13: K–Linc; OCLC 165126512
- Vol. 14: Lind–Mass; OCLC 165126521
- Vol. 15: Mast–Mol; OCLC 165126530
- Vol. 16: Mom–Nev; OCLC 165126534
- Vol. 17: New–O; OCLC 165126542
- Vol. 18: P–Pin; OCLC 165126555
- Vol. 19: Pio–Reu; OCLC 165126633
- Vol. 20: Rev–Sau; OCLC 165126641
- Vol. 21: Sav–Sous; OCLC 165126651
- Vol. 22: Sout–Teh; OCLC 165126655
- Vol. 23: Tei–US, C; OCLC 165126662
- Vol. 24: US, D–US, History; OCLC 165126666
- Vol. 25: US, History–US, Hy; OCLC 165126673
- Vol. 26: US–Vat; OCLC 165126679
- Vol. 27: Vau–Wer; OCLC 165126685
- Vol. 28: Wes–Z; OCLC 165126693
- 1st Supplement (1973); OCLC 1611716, 5534553, 642886977
- Vol. 1: A–E Brown; OCLC 165126258
- Vol. 2: F Brown-Deu; OCLC 165126938
- Vol. 3: Dev–Her; OCLC 165126939
- Vol. 4: Hes–Lek; OCLC 165126942
- Vol. 5: Lel–Nev; OCLC 165126945
- Vol. 6: New–Roc; OCLC 165126947
- Vol. 7: Rod-US Delaware; OCLC 165126955
- Vol. 8: US Dem–US Rur; OCLC 165126965
- Vol. 9: US San–Z; OCLC 165126968
- Contemporary American Composers, compiled by E. Ruth Anderson (1907–1989), G.K. Hall & Co.
Selected book series
- The Asian Literature Bibliography Series
- Bibliographies of New England History
- Critical Essays on British Literature
- G. K. Hall Large Print Book Series
- G. K. Hall Nightingale Series Edition
- G. K. Hall's Agatha Christie Series
- The Gregg Press Science Fiction Series
- Portway Large Print Series
- Professional Librarian Series
- Research Bibliographies in American Literature
- Reference Guides to Literature
- A Reference Publication in Film
- Thorndike Press Large Print Paperback Series
- Twayne's English Authors Series
- Twayne's Music Series
- Twayne's United States Authors Series
- Twayne's World Authors Series
- World Bibliographical Series
- World Cities Series
- Garrison Kent Hall (1917–1973), founder
- Betty Jensen Hall (1929-2009), co-owner and VP, comptroller (1960-1971)
- Phillips A. Treleaven (1928–2000), President of G. K. Hall (1970-1978)
- Thomas T. Beeler (1944-), Editor, Gregg Press and Twayne Publishers imprints (1972-1974); Editorial Director, General Publishing (1974-1978); President of G.K. Hall (1978–1991)
- James Diamond, President of G. K. Hall (1991-1993)
- Remo Alphonso Caroselli (1922–1968), Vice President
- Thomas M. Finn, ThD (1924–1999), Editor-in-Chief; later, academic dean at the College of William and Mary
- Elizabeth Buckley Kubik (1938–), Editor, Editor-in-Chief (1968?-1991)
- John F. Curley Sr. (1928–2001), Marketing Director (1970-1977)
- Ronan, Helen (2006-09-01). "An Interview with Harold and Ruth Sandak". Visual Resources. 22 (3): 273–286. doi:10.1080/01973760600807895. ISSN 0197-3762.
- The Money Manias: The Eras of Great Speculation in America, 1770–1970, by Robert Sobel, Weybright and Talley (1973); OCLC 802889
- Asian Literature Bibliography Series, worldcat.org. Retrieved 2 August 2021.
- Bibliographies of New England History, worldcat.org. Retrieved 2 August 2021.
- Critical Essays on British Literature, worldcat.org. Retrieved 2 August 2021.
- Professional Librarian Series, worldcat.org. Retrieved 2 August 2021.
- Research Bibliographies in American Literature, worldcat.org. Retrieved 2 August 2021.
- A Reference Publication in Film, worldcat.org. Retrieved 2 August 2021.