Gabriel Marques (attorney)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Gabriel S. Marques|
Gabriel Marques in front of the Theodore Roosevelt Executive & Legislative Building in Mineola
Mineola, New York
|Residence||Mineola, New York|
Hofstra University, (BBA, MBA) |
Touro Law Center (JD)
Gabriel S. Marques is an American attorney who formerly served as Deputy Comptroller for Nassau County, New York. He is a member of the Portuguese Government's pro-bono Diaspora Advisory Council and Adjunct Professor of Economics at Molloy College.
Early life and education
Marques is an alumnus of the Frank G. Zarb School of Business at Hofstra University, where he obtained a B.B.A. degree at age 20 and an M.B.A. at age 21, both in finance. At Hofstra, Gabriel was a member of the Phi Eta Sigma honor society and the Hofstra University Honors College. In 2014, Marques received his Juris Doctor from Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center and was the recipient of the school's Special Service to the Public and Community Award in 2014. He is currently admitted to practice law in New York State.
Marques founded and served two terms as the Chairman of the New York Portuguese American Leadership Conference (2012-2015) and was named President Emeritus of the Portuguese Civic Association of New York State on January 31, 2016.
In 2012, Marques organized the first recognition of Portugal Day in Nassau County by hosting the Portugal Day Celebration at the Nassau County Legislative Chambers. The event has since been held annually (renamed the New York Portugal Day Gala) and has been recognized in a New York State Senate resolution and named a "TOP 25" Portugal Day Celebration in the United States by LusoAmericano Newspaper (2013, '14, '15 and '16). In 2014, the Celebration became so large that it was split to incorporate a Parade in the Village of Mineola, New York organized by the Daughters of Portugal. The Inaugural New York State Portugal Day Parade was the first Portuguese themed parade in the 100-year-old history of Portuguese on Long Island. It is currently the largest parade hosted in the Village of Mineola.
In 2013, Gabriel organized Hofstra University's "Spotlight on Portugal" during the 30th Annual Dutch Festival (in which he was an honorary master of ceremonies) and a Touro Law Center and Aristides de Sousa Mendes Foundation joint-event to honor the Holocaust hero. The success of these events in drawing young Portuguese-Americans later served as the base for his creation of the New York Portuguese Youth Conference, an annual event first held at the Yonkers Portuguese American Community Center in October 2015.
Conselheiro das Comunidades Portuguesas
In July 2014, Marques was featured in the national LusoAmericano Newspaper as one of the most innovative young Portuguese community leaders in the United States. He was subsequently selected by Ambassador of Portugal to the United States H.E. Nuno Brito as a member of the U.S. Delegation for the annual summit of international Portuguese diaspora leaders at the Palace of Necessitates in Lisbon in May 2015. It was during this conference that Gabriel delivered a presentation on the success of the Portuguese communities in New York, catching the attention of the Secretary of State and other senior members of the Portuguese Ministry of Foreign Affairs. On September 6, 2015, Marques was selected to represent the communities of Connecticut, Delaware, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and the Caribbean on the Portuguese Government's 80-member pro-bono Diaspora Advisory Council (Conselho das Comunidades Portuguesas - CCP). During the annual Council assembly on April 26, 2016, in the Portuguese Senate Chambers, Gabriel was elected President of the Regional Advisory Council on Portuguese Communities in North America and elected Secretary on the CCP sub-committee on Economics, Social Issues and Immigration.
In 2011, Marques coached the Mineola Portuguese Soccer Club to its fourth New York State Division 1 Championship (Dr. Randolph G. Manning Cup), beating the 2010 National Champion New York Pancyprian-Freedoms in the finals. In the same year, the team also reached the finals of the New York State Champions League (Sal Rapaglia Cup) and placed 4th in the United States Adult Soccer Association national George F. Donnelly Cup. In total, Marques won 20 major trophies with Mineola Portuguese and individually received the 2012 LISFL "Hero of the Game" President's Award for his accomplishments.
Awards and honors
- "Grand Marshal," New York State Portugal Day Parade (2016).
- "Executive Non-Profit Leadership Fellow," National Organization of Portuguese Americans (2015).
- "Man of the Year," New York Portuguese American Leadership Conference (2014).
- "Honorary Grand Marshal," New York City Portugal Day Marathon (2014).
- "Young Portuguese-American of the Year", New York Portuguese American Leadership Conference (2013).
- "Key to the Village of Mineola," awarded by Mayor Scott Strauss (2011).
- "Course Search - Course Search - Portal Home". lionsden.molloy.edu. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- Mano, Henrique, "Forma-se em Direito jovem luso-americano que dinamizou festejos do Dia de Portugal em Long Island, New York", LusoAmericano Newspaper, LusoAmericano Newspaper
- "Touro Law Team Work". Touro Spotlight. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- Sinclair Slutsky, Marianne, "Mineola: The Next Best Thing to Portugal", Mineola American Newspaper, Anton Community Newspapers, retrieved 8 August 2014
- Mano, Henrique, "NYPALC Eleita primeira direccao, encabecada por Isabelle Marques", LusoAmericano Newspaper, LusoAmericano Newspaper
- "Visit to Portugal inspires Mineola leader". Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- Tedesco, Richard. "County Honors Martins on Portugal Day". Williston Times. The Island Now. Archived from the original on 4 April 2016. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- Jack M. Martins (2013-06-10). "J3142 | NY State Senate". Open.nysenate.gov. Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- staff, staff. "Parada do Dia de Portugal atrai milhares a Mineola". EUA Contacto. RTP International. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- Hampton, Deon. "Thousands mark LI's 1st Portuguese Day parade". Newsday. Cablevision. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Portugal Day Parade kicks off day of pride in Mineola". Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "3rd Portugal Day Parade marks movement's success". Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- Boyle, Chris (2016-06-13). "Portuguese Pride". Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "Thousands show off Portuguese pride at parade". Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- Matos, Carolina. "Hofstra University to recognize Portuguese community – Long Island, NY". Portuguese American Journal. Portuguese-American-Journal.com. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- [dead link]
- "Community: Portuguese culture graced the 30th Hofstra University's Dutch Festival – Long Island, NY - Portuguese American Journal". portuguese-american-journal.com. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Community: Aristides de Sousa Mendes honored at Kristallnacht remembrance event - Touro Law, NY - Portuguese American Journal". portuguese-american-journal.com. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- Mano, Henrique, "Estado de Nova Iorque fez 1o Conferencia Anual da Juventude de origem portuguesa", LusoAmericano Newspaper, LusoAmericano Newspaper, retrieved 28 October 2015
- Vieira, Anette. "Parceiros na Divulgacao de um Portugal Moderno". Mundo Portugues. O Emigrante. Archived from the original on 12 November 2015. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- Duraes, Ricky, "Comunidades Portuguesas ja tem conselheiros", LusoAmericano Newspaper, LusoAmericano Newspaper
- "Conselho das Comunidades Portuguesas". Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- Matos, Carolina. "Mineola Portuguese Soccer Club wins 2011 National Amateur Championship – New York". Portuguese American Journal. Portuguese-American-Journal.com. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- De Souza, Danielle. "East Meadow Man Receives Prestigious Soccer Award". East Meadow Patch. Patch.com. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- Abraham, Betsy (2016-06-02). "Parade Celebrates Unified Community". Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- Mano, Henrique, "ESTADOS UNIDOS | Arrancaram sábado 24 comemorações do Dia de Portugal em Long Island, NY", LusoAmericano Newspaper, LusoAmericano Newspaper, retrieved 25 May 2014
- Matos, Carolina. "Portugal Day: Portuguese American community to honor their own – Nassau County, NY". Portuguese American Journal. Portuguese-American-Journal.com. Retrieved 31 August 2013.