Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute
ගම්පහ වික්රමාරච්චි ආයුර්වේද විද්යායතනය
|Type||Undergraduate, Postgraduate Education|
The Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute (Sinhala:ගම්පහ වික්රමාරච්චි ආයුර්වේද විද්යායතනය), affiliated to the University of Kelaniya, is a higher education institute of Ayurveda education, located in Yakkala, Sri Lanka. It was established by Ayurveda Cakrawarti Pandit G.P. Wickramarachchi in 1928 as the Gampaha Sidayurveda Vidyalaya and in 1982 it was incorporated as Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Vidyalaya under the Ministry of Indigenous Medicine.
In 1928, Ayurveda Cakrawarti Pandit G.P. Wickramarachchi commenced the Gampaha Sidayurveda Vidyalaya as a center of learning of Sidhayurveda tradition of medicine. It was located in his personal land in Yakkala to provide knowledge and competence in herbal drug preparation and cikitsa to traditional physicians. Drug manufacturing unit, hospital and herbal garden of rare collection of plants were the valuable resources available to the institute at the inception of the Institute.
By recognizing the emerging trends in Ayurveda medicine and its tremendous contribution to national health sector, the vidyalaya was declared as state recognized institute in 1951, making its diploma holders eligible to in state sector Ayurveda hospitals. In 1982 Vidyalaya was incorporated as Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute under the Ministry of Indigenous Medicine by the parliamentary act No 30, in 1982. In 1995, it was uplifted to the status of a university institute.
The institute's academic staff is allocated to the five academic departments based on their specialization and teaching expertise as below;
- Department of Ayurveda Basic Principles
- Department of Dravyaguna
- Department of Kaumarabruthya & Stree Roga
- Department of Chikitsa
- Department of Shalya Shalakya
The Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute offers following postgraduate diplomas and master's degrees across disciplines in Kayacikitsa, Panchakarma and management and administration of Ayurveda institutions.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management and Administration of Ayurveda Institutions
- Master of Science in Kāyacikitsā
- Master of Science in Pañcakarma
- Master of Science in Management and Administration of Ayurveda Institutions
- Diploma In Yoga And Relaxation (DYR)
- Diploma in Ayurveda Pharmaceuticals
- Certificate Course in Yoga and Relaxation Techniques(CCYR)
- Certificate Course in Ayurveda Beauty Culture
- Certificate Course in Ultrasound Scanning
Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Teaching Hospital
Gampaha Wickramarachchi Sidhayurveda Medical College establish in 1929 by Pundit G.P Wickramarachchi with the aims of improving Ayurveda Medicine and provided treated freely. In 1984 it was upgraded to the hospital and on 27 February 2008. it was affiliated by the Department of Ayurveda. At present this hospital has four wards that can accommodate 120 patients. In addition there is an out patients department and a pharmacy. This Ayurveda Teaching hospital provides Teaching and training facilities to undergraduate Medical student of the Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute.
- Sri Lankan traditional medicine
- University of Kelaniya
- Faculties and institutions of University of Colombo
- Education in Sri Lanka
- University Grants Commission (Sri Lanka)
- Medical school
- List of medical schools in Asia
- Alternative medicine
- Traditional medicine
- "The Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda InstituteThe Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute". The Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute. University of Kelaniya. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
- "History". The Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute. University of Kelaniya. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
- "Masters Degrees". The Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute. University of Kelaniya. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
- "Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Teaching Hospital". The Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute. University of Kelaniya. Retrieved 22 May 2016.