Gangs in Georgia (U.S. state)
Gangs first started appearing in the US state of Georgia in the late 1980s and early 1990s. There are more than 100 active gangs in Georgia, and within the major gangs, there are many different “sets”. Most of these gangs are from Atlanta, but there are many gangs that are found all over Georgia. Some of the gangs are nationwide, such as the Sureños, Bloods and the Crips, which were founded in California and have spread across the United States. Organized gangs are found in the streets and in prison.
Drug dealing is a major supplement of money for gang members, and crack cocaine is most profitable. Prostitution and money laundering are also big moneymakers in the gang community. Downtown Atlanta has had national television coverage about the gang situation. The city was featured on the show Gangland, in the episodes "Death in Dixie," "Street Law," and "Death Before Dishonor."
- Zone 1: The neighborhoods that are within Zone 1 are: Bankhead, Hollywood, Hollywood Court, Bolton Road, Hightower, Bowen Homes, English Avenue, Vine City, and Fair Street.
- Zone 2: This area is located on the North East/West of Atlanta. Some of the neighborhoods include Lenox Square,Lindbergh Cenattley,Howell Mill and NorthEast Atlanta
- Zone 3: The neighborhoods in Zone 3 are: Mechanicsville, Thomasville, Summer Hill, Grant Park, College Park, Forest Park, East Point and Jonesboro South.
- Zone 4: The neighborhoods in Zone 4 are: Ben Hill, Oakland City, Cascade,Wildwood Lakes Community, 1500 Block, West End, Westview, Allen Hills and Adamsville.
- Zone 5: The neighborhoods in Zone 5 are: 4th Ward, Wheat Street, Grady Homes, Irwin Street and Techwood.
- Zone 6: The neighborhoods in Zone 6 are: Candler Road, Reynoldstown, Edgewood, Kirkwood, East Lake, East Atlanta, Bouldercrest Road, Memorial Drive and Glenwood