Gary Lutz is an American writer of both poetry and fiction. His work has appeared in Sleepingfish, NOON, The Quarterly, Conjunctions, Unsaid, Fence, StoryQuarterly, The Believer, Cimarron Review, 3rd Bed, Slate Magazine, New York Tyrant, The Anchor Book of New American Short Stories, The Apocalypse Reader (Thunder's Mouth Press), PP/FF: An Anthology (Starcherone Books), The Random House Treasury of Light Verse and in the film 60 Writers/60 Places..
A collection of his short fiction, Stories in the Worst Way, was published by Alfred A. Knopf in November 1996 and re-published by 3rd Bed in 2002 and Calamari Press in 2009. Lutz's second collection of short stories, I Looked Alive, was published by the now-defunct Four Walls Eight Windows in 2003 and republished by Black Square Editions/Brooklyn Rail in 2010. Partial List of People to Bleach, a chapbook of both new and rare early stories (published pseudonymously as Lee Stone in Gordon Lish's The Quarterly) was released by Future Tense Books in 2007. Divorcer, a collection of seven stories, was released by Calamari Press in 2011.
- Divorcer (2011 from Calamari Press)
- Partial List of People to Bleach (2007 from Future Tense Books)
- Writer's Digest Grammar Desk Reference, with Diane Stevenson (2005 from Writer's Digest Books)
- I Looked Alive (2003 from Four Walls Eight Windows; 2010 from Black Square Editions/Brooklyn Rail)
- Stories In the Worst Way (1996 from Alfred A. Knopf; 2002 from 3rd Bed; 2009 from Calamari Press)
- The Collected Stories of Gary Lutz (2019 from Tyrant Books)
- "For Food"
- "I Used to Love LPs"
- "Esprit de L'Elevator"
- "Street Map of the Continent"
- "Fatal Agreement: The new edition of The Chicago Manual of Style wrestles with grammar." (Slate, August 2003)
- A review of Life of a Star by Jane Unrue (The Believer, June 2010)
- "The Sentence Is a Lonely Place" (The Believer, January 2009)
- Untitled ("In my late, tormentative twenties...") (Moistworks, June 2006)
- with Blake Butler, Vice
- with Diana George, The Stranger
- with Justin Taylor, Bookslut
- with Ross Simonini, Believer Magazine
- with Michael Kimball, The Faster Times
- with Gene Kwak, We Are Champion
- with David Winters, "3:AM Magazine"
- with Dylan Nice, "Wag's Revue"
- with Greg Gerke, Big Other