Gay Marriage (book)
Cover of the first edition
|Media type||Print (Hardcover and Paperback)|
Gay Marriage: Why It Is Good for Gays, Good for Straights, and Good for America is a 2004 book about same-sex marriage by the journalist Jonathan Rauch. The book received both critical and supportive commentary.
Gay Marriage received a positive review in The Economist, which described the book as a "cool, articulate, poignant plea in favour of gay marriage" and "a powerful book, clear, tolerant and persuasive, never ranting or self-pitying".
E. J. Graff gave Gay Marriage a negative review in Out magazine, accusing Rauch of misleadingly citing her work, and criticizing his argument that same-sex marriage would "domesticate" gay men. The book was also the focus of a cover story in Philadelphia Gay News, written by Robert DiGiacomo.
Evaluations in books
David Blankenhorn called Gay Marriage "the most precise and serious argument to date in favor of the proposition that marriage supporters should accept gay marriage." However, he rejected Rauch's case for same-sex marriage. Blankenhorn criticized Rauch for ignoring questions such as "what is marriage?" and "how did it come to exist?", neglecting the anthropological and historical record on marriage, and failing to address the connection between marriage and children. The journalist E. J. Dionne called Rauch's book "thoughtful", writing that it helped convince him to support same-sex marriage. Sherif Girgis, Ryan T. Anderson, and the philosopher Robert P. George, writing in What Is Marriage? Man and Woman: A Defense (2012), argued that despite Rauch's desire to preserve traditional marital norms, same-sex marriage would undermine those norms.
- Blankenhorn, David (2007). The Future of Marriage. New York: Encounter Books. ISBN 1-59403-081-2.
- Dionne, E. J. (2008). Souled Out: Reclaiming Faith & Politics After the Religious Right. Princeton: Princeton University Press. ISBN 978-0-691-13458-1.
- Girgis, Sherif; Anderson, Ryan T.; George, Robert P. (2012). What Is Marriage? Man and Woman: A Defense. New York: Encounter Books. ISBN 978-1-59403-622-4.
- DiGiacomo, Robert (2004). "Author makes case for 'Gay Marriage'". Philadelphia Gay News. 28 (19). – via EBSCO's Academic Search Complete (subscription required)
- Economist (2004). "Gay marriage: Win, win, win?". The Economist. 371 (April 3, 2004). – via EBSCO's Academic Search Complete (subscription required)
- Graff, E. J. (2004). "Marriage Matters". Out. 13 (3). – via EBSCO's Academic Search Complete (subscription required)