Pelēcis was born in Riga. He studied under Aram Khachaturian at the Moscow Conservatory, and has worked in a creative capacity at Oxford University and Cambridge University. His style has been described as "new consonant music", with an "amazingly clear positive spirit".
Notable works include:
- Revelation, Concerto for counter-tenor, piano, and trumpet
- Nevertheless, Concerto for violin, piano, and strings
- The Last Song
- Flowering Jasmine, Concerto for violin, vibraphone, and strings
- Jack and the Beanstalk, Music for the Roald Dahl fable for symphony orchestra and narrators
- Concertino bianco for piano and chamber orchestra
Pelēcis' musicological work focuses on musical form in work from the Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Baroque eras. He has written theses focusing on the work of Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina and Johannes Ockeghem.
- Pelēcis, Georgs, 1947-. From Library of Congress Name Authority File.
- Musica Baltica. Georgs Pelēcis. Biography
- New Consonant Music. Composers."Georgs Pelecis".
- Georgs Pelecis - Latvian composer and musicologist.