|Studio album by Newsboys|
|Released||July 26, 1994|
|Genre||Christian pop, Christian rock|
|Producer||Steve Taylor, Peter Furler|
|Blaze Magazine||No Rating|
|Jesus Freak Hideout|||
Going Public is the fifth studio album by Christian pop rock band Newsboys, released in 1994. The album was the band's second commercial success (following Not Ashamed), and it featured "Shine," one of their most popular songs.
The album was recognized with two Dove Awards at the 25th GMA Dove Awards, one for "Rock Album of the Year", and the other "Rock Recorded Song of the Year" for "Shine", as well as nominations for Short Form Music Video of the Year ("Shine") and Song of the Year ("Shine"). Going Public was also nominated for a Grammy, for Best Rock Gospel Album.
In 2001, Going Public was recognized by CCM Magazine as one of the 100 Greatest Albums in Christian Music (appearing at No. 70 on the list), and in 2006, "Shine" was included at No. 9 on CCM Magazine's 100 Greatest Songs of Christian Music.
The CD was recently included as the first in a series of influential Christian albums in Blaze magazine's Blast from the past section, saying that modern Christian artists owe a lot to the path this album created, because it "...showed music from a Godly perspective could sound extremely catchy, have lyrics that were honest and still glorify God".
According to the liner notes the cover photo was taken at a 1948 Post-World War II meeting in Germany which was conducted by the Rev. George A Palmer for the European Evangelical Crusade.
|1.||"Real Good Thing"||Peter Furler||2:53|
|3.||"Spirit Thing"||Peter Furler||3:27|
|4.||"Let It Rain"||Peter Furler||4:17|
|5.||"Going Public"||John James||3:30|
|6.||"Truth and Consequences"||Peter Furler||2:58|
|7.||"Lights Out"||Peter Furler, Steve Taylor||John James||3:09|
|8.||"Be Still"||Peter Furler, John James||3:19|
|9.||"When You Called My Name"||John James||4:02|
|10.||"Elle G."||Peter Furler||5:12|
Note: all CCM Magazine' chart information is available in the book Hot Hits CHR 1978-1997 (1997) by Jeffrey Lee Brothers
|"Let It Rain"||CHR||1/23/95||3/6/95||7||9||56||—|
|"Real Good Thing"||CHR||8/7/95||9/11/95||1||9||89||
|"Truth and Consequences"||CHR||10/9/95||11/13/95||1||11||214||—|
- John James - lead vocals, backing vocals
- Peter Furler - lead vocals, backing vocals, drums, programming
- Kevin Mills - bass, backing vocals
- Duncan Phillips - keyboards, backing vocals
- Jody Davis - guitar, backing vocals
- Jeff Frankenstein - touring, keyboards, additional programming (Note: Jeff joined the band during the final recording stages of the album, and didn't really get to play on any of the tracks, but yet he is still mentioned in the album's liner notes.)
- Going Public at AllMusic
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-03-11. Retrieved 2007-03-12.
- Blaze magazine's blast from the past review