Grand Lake (Michigan)
|Location||Presque Isle County, Michigan|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Surface area||5,660 acres (22.9 km2)|
Grand Lake is a 5,660-acre (22.9 km2) lake in Presque Isle County in the U.S. state of Michigan. Grand Lake is a substantial lake of approximately 7 miles (11 km) in length and up to 1.5 miles (2.5 km) in width. The lake is on the boundary between Presque Isle Township to the east and Krakow Township to the west, approximately 15 miles (25 km) north of Alpena on U.S. Highway 23, which passes to the south and west of the lake.
The lake lies on the landward side of a prominent promontory in the county that juts out into Lake Huron, thereby making the promontory almost an island and indirectly giving the promontory and county their name of "Presque Isle." The lake contains many islands, such as Brown Island, Grand Island, and Macombers Island.
Deposits of Rock salt were discovered at a depth of 1284 feet in the vicinity of Grand Lake. On the west shore of the lake are ledges, which rise to a height of 40 feet above lake level, and include Cerepatora fossils along with crinoid stems.
- Michigan Atlas and Gazetteer (10th ed.). Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. 2002.
- Fishing web, Grand Lake facts
- R. A. SMITH, State Geologist IN COOPERATION WITH THE UNITED STATES GEOLOGICAL SURVEY , STATE OF MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF CONSERVATION GEOLOGICAL SURVEY DIVISION , Publication 33. Geological Series 27. MINERAL RESOURCES OF MICHIGAN WITH STATISTICAL TABLES OF PRODUCTION AND VALUE OF MINERAL PRODUCTS FOR 1921 AND PRIOR YEARS. ANNUAL REPORT OF THE GEOLOGICAL AND BIOLOGICAL SURVEY FOR 1921
- Lanee, Alfred Church (1901) Report of the state Board of Geological Survey By Michigan. Geological Survey, Lansing, Michigan: Wynkoop, Hallenbeck, Crawford, p. 190.
- Clarke Historical Library, Central Michigan University, Bibliography on Presque Isle County
- Kauffman, George H. "My Recollections of Early Grand Lake." n.p., 1973.