Müller's Bornean gibbon
|Müller's Bornean gibbon|
|Muller's Bornean gibbon range|
Unlike other gibbon species, Müller's Bornean gibbon does not show sexual dimorphism in its fur coloration. Its fur is grey- or brown-colored with a ring of bright fur around its face. On the head, it often has a darkly colored cap. Weighing between 4–8 kg, it ranks among the smaller of the gibbons.
Müller's Bornean gibbon is endemic to the island of Borneo, inhabiting the northern and eastern part of the island. In the southwest of the island lives the Bornean white-bearded gibbon; their territories hardly overlap. Grey gibbons are diurnal rain forest dwellers, characterized by the long arms that all gibbons have, with which they brachiate through the trees. They live together in monogamous pairs, and defend their family territory against intruders with long, loud singing. Their diet consists primarily of fruits. Little is known about the reproductive patterns of this species, but it is thought to be similar to that of other gibbon species.
Müller's Bornean gibbon occurs in a number of protected areas, including Betung Kerihun National Park, Bukit Baka Bukit Raya National Park, Kayan Mentarang National Park, Kutai National Park, Sungai Wain Protection Forest and Tanjung Puting National Park in Indonesia and Pulong Tau National Park the Lanjak Entimau Wildlife Sanctuary and Semengok Forest Reserve in Malaysia.
- Müller's grey gibbon, Hylobates muelleri muelleri
- Abbott's grey gibbon, Hylobates muelleri abbotti
- Northern grey gibbon, Hylobates muelleri funereus
- Groves, C.P. (2005). Wilson, D.E.; Reeder, D.M., eds. Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference (3rd ed.). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. p. 180. OCLC 62265494. ISBN 0-801-88221-4.
- Geissmann, T. & Nijman, V. (2008). "Hylobates muelleri". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2008. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 4 January 2009.
- Bruening, S. Shefferly, N.; Parr, C. S., eds. "Hylobates muelleri: Information". Animal Diversity Web. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- Malaysian Nature Society 1998 Expedition to the proposed Pulong Tau National Park, Sarawak, Malaysia. Malaysian Nature Society, Miri Branch, Miri, Sarawak.
- Geissmann, Thomas. "Gibbon Systematics and Species Identification". Retrieved 2006-04-13.
|Wikispecies has information related to: Müller's Bornean gibbon|