Higher Institute for Applied Sciences and Technology
|المعهد العالي للعلوم التطبيقية والتكنولوجيا|
HIAST was established in 1983. Its aim is to qualify personnel in order to conduct scientific and technological research in all applied sciences and technology fields, so they can participate in the scientific and economic process in Syria. HIAST provides opportunities to make progress in applied research fields by joining courses to be awarded the degree of specialized Diploma, Master and Doctorate.
HIAST extends the scientific applications which it conducts in cooperation with several public and private bodies in Syria. It also executes joint projects at the regional and international levels to transfer technology and exchange experience.
HIAST is authorized to award high scientific degrees like:
- Imad Abdel Ghani Sabouni - Minister of Communications 2007-
- Omran Kouba, mathematician - former director of HIAST (2002-2004), former director of the National center for curriculum development,(2014-2015).
- Oussama Damen - Associate Professor, University of Waterloo, CANADA.
- Fouad Wahoud - physicist researcher, Université de Namur.
- Mohammad Ali Alsayed Ali - physicist researcher and nanotechnology expert 
- Nidal Chamoun - theoretical physicist