Higher Institute for Applied Sciences and Technology
المعهد العالي للعلوم التطبيقية والتكنولوجيا
HIAST was established in 1983. Its aim is to qualify personnel in order to conduct scientific and technological research in all applied sciences and technology fields, so they can participate in the scientific and economic process in Syria. HIAST provides opportunities to make progress in applied research fields by joining courses to be awarded the degree of engineering Diploma, Master and Doctorate.
HIAST extends the scientific applications which it conducts in cooperation with several public and private bodies in Syria. It also executes joint projects at the regional and international levels to transfer technology and exchange experience.
HIAST is authorized to award high scientific degrees like:
The Engineering diploma consists of 5 academic years:
- The first two years is equivalent to what so called 'Classe préparatoire' in France, where intensive courses in fundamental sciences: Maths, Physics and Chemistry are offered.
- The last three years are devoted for specialisation in one of the following engineering programs:
- Telecommunication engineering.
- Mechatronic engineering.
- Informatic engineering.
- Material engineering.
In 2017 HIAST was ranked 1st in Syria and 4327th world ranking 
- Imad Abdel Ghani Sabouni - Minister of Communications 2007-
- Omran Kouba, mathematician - former director of HIAST (2002-2004), former director of the National center for curriculum development,(2014-2015).
- Nidal Chamoun - theoretical physicist
- "HIAST". Facebook. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- "Contact us". Higher Institute for Applied Sciences and Technology. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- http://www.webometrics.info/en/Asia/Syrian Arab Republic
- "Syrian Universities Ranking".
- "Omran Kouba".