|Limited liability company|
|Founder||Harvey Perley Hood|
|Headquarters||Lynnfield, Massachusetts, United States|
|United States and International Locations|
|John A. Kaneb (CEO)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Catamount Dairy Holdings LP|
|Subsidiaries||see list of brands below|
HP Hood LLC is an American dairy company based in Lynnfield, Massachusetts. Hood was founded in 1846 in Charlestown, Massachusetts by Harvey Perley Hood. Recent company acquisitions by HP Hood have expanded its reach from predominantly New England to the broader United States. Today, the company has an annual sales revenue of about $2.2 billion.
From 1980 to 1995, HP Hood was owned by Agway. That year, the company was acquired by current CEO John A. Kaneb. HP Hood operates as a subsidiary of Catamount Dairy Holdings LP, based in Chelsea, Massachusetts.
In 2004, the company acquired Crowley Foods, based in Binghamton, New York; and Kemps, based in St. Paul, Minnesota. In 2007, HP Hood acquired Crystal Cream and Butter Company, based in Sacramento, California, shortly selling it to Foster Farms Dairy. In 2008, they acquired the ice cream business of Brigham's Ice Cream, based in Arlington, Massachusetts. These acquisitions effectively expanded the company's reach from New England and New York to the broader United States.
- Simply Smart
- Calorie Countdown
- Crowley Foods (portion of assets licensed to Balford Farms in 2014)
- Heluva Good!
- Axelrod Foods
- M. Maggio Company
- Penn Maid Foods
- Booth Brothers Dairy
- Green's Ice Cream
- Brigham's Ice Cream
- Hagan Ice Cream
- Lactaid (brand of McNeil Nutritionals, LLC produced by HP Hood since 1997)
- Hershey's milk and milkshakes (brand of The Hershey Company produced by HP Hood since 2010)
- Blue Diamond Almond Breeze (brand of Blue Diamond Growers produced by HP Hood since 2008)
- Baileys Coffee Creamers
- Southern Comfort Eggnog
Note: A news source from Binghamton, New York mentions that Balford Farms of Burlington, New Jersey purchased the rights to Crowley Foods in 2014. Another source states that Balford Farms is a part-owner, having only a portion of the assets. According to the history section on the Crowley Foods website, as of 2017, it mentions that their products are still part of the HP Hood line of brands. Balford Farms took over the former warehouse and distribution center for Crowley Foods in 2014.
- Kemps (sold to Dairy Farmers of America in 2011)
- Rosenberger's Dairy (sold to Balford Farms in 2014)
- Rosenberger's Dairy Wagon
- Cottage Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Ice Cream
- Frozen Novelties
- Juice and Drinks
- Calorie Countdown®
- Simply Smart® Milk
HP Hood is a New England icon and their name and logo are well known. While Hood no longer produces milk at their facility along Interstate 93 in Charlestown, the building is still referred to as "the Hood plant" by traffic reporters. The company ran a highway safety campaign called Hood Samaritan (see Good Samaritan) circa 1960, that was later taken over by the CVS Pharmacy chain.
At Boston Children's Museum, the outdoor ice cream stand takes the form of a large Hood Milk Bottle. The Hood blimp often appears at sport and cultural events (most often Red Sox home games above Boston, and the Eastern States Exposition in October). The Hood blimp made news on September 26, 2006 when it crashed in a wooded area near Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts.
A United States Supreme Court case, H.P. Hood and Sons v. DuMond, was decided in the Hood Company's favor, in which New York was prevented from withholding a license to sell milk made in New York in Massachusetts, based on the dormant commerce clause limitations on state intervention in interstate commerce.
- United Way
- The Jimmy Fund
- The Red Sox Foundation
- The Massachusetts ProStart
- Feeding America
- Birthday Wishes
- Boston Children's Museum
- Children's Museum & Theatre
- AGWAY OFFICIAL MUM ON H.P. HOOD MERGER
- Agway sells H.P. Hood
- Bloomberg, Company Overview of HP Hood LLC, Retrieved Feb. 7, 2015.
-  Archived February 16, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Brigham's can't beat the heat; assets go to 2 buyers - The Boston Globe". Boston.com. 2008-06-28. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- Binghamton.com, Balford Farms Buys Crowley's (September 26, 2014), Retrieved Feb. 6, 2015.
- HP Hood LLC (Lactaid Brands), Retrieved Mar. 12, 2015.
- Hershey's Milk and Milkshakes - Hershey's Milk and Milkshakes Announces Product Line Expansion (January 29, 2013), Retrieved Apr. 23, 2015.
- Sacramento Business Journal - New owners whip up work at old Crystal Cream plant by Melanie Turner (June 29, 2012), Retrieved Apr. 23, 2015.
- Kansas City Business Journal, Dairy Farmers of America Will Become Owner of Kemps (April 15, 2011), Retrieved Feb. 6, 2015.
- WBNG Channel 12 Action News, Conklin Dairy Distribution Center Staying Open by Anna Norris (September 26, 2014), Retrieved Feb. 6, 2015.
- "Web Page Under Construction". Cvssamaritan.com. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- "Hood Blimp Crashes North Of Boston | WCVB Home - WCVB Home". Thebostonchannel.com. 2006-09-26. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- . The New York Times. 1997-08-10 https://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/10/us/the-city-that-worships-ice-cream-in-all-flavors.html. Retrieved 2014-09-23. Missing or empty
- "Committed to his colloquialisms". The Boston Globe. 2012-04-11. Retrieved 2014-09-23.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". Phish.net. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- The Phish Companion: A Guide to the Band and Their Music - Mockingbird Foundation, Tom Marshall - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-10-17.