Happiness Is a Thing Called Joe
"Happiness is a Thing Called Joe" is a song composed by Harold Arlen, with lyrics written by Yip Harburg, it was written for the 1943 film musical Cabin in the Sky, recorded by the MGM Studio Orchestra and sung by Ethel Waters. The song was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1943 but lost out to “You'll Never Know”.
- Woody Herman and His Orchestra - a single release in 1945 with a vocal by Frances Wayne.
- Judy Garland - Miss Show Business (1955)
- Susan Hayward - I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955).
- Peggy Lee - The Man I Love (1957), with orchestra conducted by Frank Sinatra
- Abbey Lincoln - That's Him! (1957)
- Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Harold Arlen Songbook (1961) on Verve
- Tony Bennett - Tony Sings for Two (1961)
- Eartha Kitt - The Romantic Eartha (1962)
- Sarah Vaughan - It's a Man's World (1967)
- Nancy Wilson - But Beautiful (1969)
- Anita Kerr Singers - Sentimental Journey (1974).
- Harvey Fierstein - This Is Not Going to Be Pretty (1995).
- Bette Midler - Bette Midler Sings the Peggy Lee Songbook (2005)
|This article about a jazz standard or composition written in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This pop standards-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This show tune-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|