Hassan Abbas (academic)
Hassan Abbas (born 1969) is a Pakistani-American academic in the field of South Asian and Middle Eastern studies. His research focuses on security issues pertaining to governance, law enforcement and counterterrorism in these regions. Abbas worked in the governments of Benazir Bhutto (1994–1996) and Musharraf (1999–2001). He is a resident in the US.
Abbas received a MALD and PhD from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University; an LLM in International Law from the University of Nottingham School of Law (as a Britannia Chevenning Scholar); and a Masters in Political Science from the Government College, Lahore, Punjab University, Pakistan.
Abbas was a visiting scholar at the Islamic Legal Studies Program (2002 - 2003) and at the Negotiation Project (2003 - 2004) at Harvard Law School. From 2005 - 2009, Abbas was a research fellow and from 2009 - 2011, an adviser at the Belfer Centre for Science and International affairs at the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University. From 2009 - 2011, Abbas was also Quaid-i-Azam Chair professor at the South Asia Institute and School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA), Columbia University in New York. In 2009, Abbas was the Bernard Schwartz fellow at the Asia Society in New York. Currently, he is the chair of the Department of Regional and Analytical Studies at the National Defense University (NDU) in Washington DC; director of the South and Central Asia Program, NDU. In 2012, Abbas led the Independent Commission on Police Reforms in Pakistan, funded by the Asia Society.
- The Taliban Revival: Violence and Extremism on the Pakistan-Afghanistan Revival (2014).
- Pakistan's drift into extremism: Allah, the army and America's War on Terror (2005).
- Pakistan 2020: A vision for building a better future.
- "Ali Ibne Abi Talib on leadership and good governance." (2012) 
- "Hassan Abbas" Belfer centre, Harvard University. Accessed 19 April 2014.
- "Hassan Abbas" Columbia Global Centers. Accessed 19 April 2014.
- "Hassan Abbas." Asia Society. Accessed 19 April 2014.
- "Hassan Abbas" National Defense University. Accessed 19 April 2014.
- "Stabilizing Pakistan through police reforms." Asia Society website.
- "Book review" New York Times 6 February 2005.
- "An inside look at the changes in Pakistan." Boston Globe 17 November 2004.
- "Pakistan 2020, vision building a better future." Asia society website.
- Abbas H. "Ali Ibne Abi Talib on leadership and good governance." Outskirts Press, Incorporated, 2012. ISBN 1478714239, 781478714231.