Terry Leonard, known professionally as DJ Hatcha or just Hatcha, is a South London producer and DJ notable for his seminal work in the musical genre dubstep. He had a regular show on the prominent pirate radio station Rinse FM in the early 2000s, before bringing dubstep to a wider audience with his regular show on mainstream radio station Kiss FM. He is acclaimed for his volumes of the Tempa Records mix cd series "Dubstep Allstars".
Role in the origin of dubstep
Leonard was the head buyer of the Big Apple record shop in Croydon, South London, which he ran alongside Arthur Smith (a.k.a. Artwork of Magnetic Man) and John Kennedy. A movement within the 2-step garage scene by the name of "dark garage" was taking place at the start of the 2000s, and producers at the forefront of it such as El-B and Horsepower Productions were regulars at the shop, which had become a meeting point within the scene. At the time Leonard was an influential DJ on various pirate radio stations and a resident at the club FWD>>, where a strain of dark garage that was more stripped down and bass heavy was gaining popularity.
Oliver Jones (Skream), got in touch with Leonard through his brother (producer Hijak), and started working in the shop during the weekends. Leonard played him dark garage sounds, which sparked Jones's interest in producing music. Through working in the shop he met Adegbenga Adejumo (Benga), another young producer who was making tunes using his PlayStation gaming console. The two exchanged music and were developing their style under the mentor-ship of Leonard, who had also started to bring dubplates of the tunes Jones and Adejumo were making into his DJ-sets. His sets at FWD>> and on Rinse FM were very influential in forming dubstep, partially thanks to the exclusive music he got from the young producers, as well as that provided by shop regulars Mala, Coki and Loefah (the former two known as duo Digital Mystikz).
- Bashment (Self released, 2001)
- Dub Express (Tempa, 2003)
- Special 4 track EP w/ Benny Ill (Tempa, 2003)
- 10 Tons Heavy w/ Benga (Planet Mu, 2006)
- Just A Rift / Chillz (Eight:FX, 2008)
- Dirtee Tek / Dark Claps (Special Branch, 2010)
- Dubstep Allstars Vol. 1 (Tempa, 2004)
- Dubstep Allstars Vol. 4 w/ Youngsta (Tempa, 2006)
- Bert Bernstein (12 May 2012). "Found, Multi:ply & Days Like That present Heritage UK garage club night". Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "RA: Hatcha biography". Retrieved 3 Feb 2013.
- "We Shot Jr - DJ Hatcha interivew". Archived from the original on October 28, 2013. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- "Time Out - Dubstep". Time Out. October 4, 2006. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- "Blackdown - Skream Interview". August 27, 2005. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- "Allmusic - Benga". Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- "DJ Hatcha Discography at Discogs". Retrieved July 14, 2013.
|This article about a British musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|