Head girl and head boy
|This article does not cite any sources. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
United Kingdom and Ireland
In some British schools, the pupil body (or the headteacher) may elect a head boy and/or a head girl from the pupils/students. Head boys and head girls are usually responsible for representing the school at events, and therefore must be able to make public speeches. He or she may also be expected to lead fellow prefects in their duties. Deputy head boys and girls may also be appointed, taking on the day-to-day management of the prefects in some institutions, as well as looking after the school and creating a link between teachers and pupils.
Other Commonwealth countries
All schools in Hong Kong, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Singapore, UAE and Malaysia, and many in the Commonwealth Caribbean, as well as South Africa, follow the same system as that in the United Kingdom, having a head girl and head boy or head prefect, a vice-head girl/boy, prefects, house captains, monitors and class representatives. (source?) The head girl and boy assist the teachers and administration of the school. Nigerian and Ghanaian schools follow a similar system although some schools appoint a head prefect or senior prefect and assistant senior prefect.
In Australia, the system is much the same as that of the United Kingdom. Almost all public secondary schools will have a student council with each year group having elected representatives. The head boy and head girl are generally the "chair" of this council and will represent the school on a government or community level and will represent the students at the school level.
Notable head boys and girls
- Hayley Atwell,best known for appearing as agent Carter in captain America the first avenger, was head girl at Sion-Manning school.
- Amy Childs, best known for appearing in the reality television soap opera TOWIE, was head girl at Raphael Independent School
- Gethin Anthony, best known for portraying Renly in HBO's Game of Thrones, was head boy at Tiffin School
- Jenna Coleman, best recognized for her role as Clara Oswald in the British television series Doctor Who, was head girl of Arnold School
- Matt Smith, best known for his role as The Doctor in the British television series Doctor Who, was head boy at Northampton School for Boys
- Jeremy Hunt, British politician and Secretary of State for Health, was head boy of Charterhouse School
- Kajol, Bollywood actress was head girl at St Joseph Convent boarding school in Panchgani.
- Rebecca Hall, English actress, was head girl at Roedean School
- Kezia Dugdale, Scottish Labour leader, was head girl at Harris Academy
- Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- Christopher Eccleston, best known for his role as the Ninth Doctor in Doctor Who.
- Richie McCaw, captain of the All Blacks, was head prefect (and proxime accessit) at Otago Boys' High School
- J.K. Rowling, author of Harry Potter
- Joe Hart, English goalkeeper for Manchester City FC
- Jo Cox, former English MP, was head girl at Heckmondwike Grammar School
- Jade Thirlwall, singer from Little Mix
- Leigh-Anne Pinnock, singer from Little Mix