Hellisheiði Power Station
||This article's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (April 2013)|
|Hellisheiði Power Station|
|Geothermal power station|
|Max. well depth||2,200 m (7,200 ft)|
|Thermal power station|
|Units operational||6 x 45 MW
1 x 33 MW
|CHP heating capacity||133 MWt|
|Nameplate capacity||303 MW|
The Hellisheiði Power Station (HGPS) is the third-largest geothermal power station in the world. The facility is located in Hengill, southwest Iceland, 11 km (7 mi) from the Nesjavellir Geothermal Power Station. The plant has a capacity of 303 MW of electricity and 133 MW of hot water for Reykjavik's district heating. HGPS is owned and operated by ON Power.
Electricity production with two 45 MW turbines commenced in 2006. In 2007, an additional low pressure steam turbine of 33 MW was added. In 2008, two 45 MW turbines were added with steam from Skarðsmýrarfjall Mountain. The hot water plant was introduced in 2010 and the last two high pressure 45 MW turbines were added in 2011. The power station has brought air polluted with sulphur dioxide to the nearby capital area. 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hellisheiði Geothermal Plant.|
- Geothermal power in Iceland
- List of largest power stations in the world
- List of power stations in Iceland
- Renewable energy in Iceland
- "Hellisheidarvirkjun heat and power station in South Iceland". Extreme Iceland. Retrieved 2013-04-02.[unreliable source?]
- Hellisheiði Power Station
- "Sustainable energy: inside Iceland's geothermal power plant". the Guardian. 29 May 2016. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- Reykjavík: Loftmengun yfir mörkum Rúv, 1. march, 2017.
- "The Geothermal Energy Exhibition". Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Official website
- Hellisheiði Power Plant 2006-10-21 - Picture gallery from islandsmyndir.is
- Hellisheiði Power Plant 2008-11-15 - Picture gallery from islandsmyndir.is
- Hellisheiði Power Plant 2009-10-04 - Picture gallery from islandsmyndir.is
- Hellisheiði Power Plant, Inside 2012-04-27 - Picture gallery from islandsmyndir.is
- Hellisheiði Power Plant, Outside 2012-05-09 - Picture gallery from islandsmyndir.is