Hg (equity firm)
|Private limited company|
|Predecessor||Mercury Private Equity|
|Products||Private equity funds, Leveraged buyout|
|Total assets||$13 billion USD |
Number of employees
Hg is a private equity firm targeting middle-market buyouts primarily in Europe. Hg focuses on investments in technology, services and industrial technology sectors. It invests out of its 8th £2.5 billion core fund and its 2nd £575 million Mercury fund, targeting smaller technology buyouts, both raised in February 2017. Both funds were closed on their hard-caps and were more than 3x oversubscribed versus their targets, receiving strong re-ups from existing investors. The company also raised its 1st time £1.5B Saturn large-cap fund in March 2018.
In total, Hg has more than £9B / $13M assets under management. The company has close to 120 employees in two investment offices in London, UK and Munich, Germany, and serves over 100 institutional investors, including private and public pension funds, endowments, insurance companies and fund of funds.
Hg began life as Mercury Private Equity, the private equity arm of Mercury Asset Management plc, a long-established UK-based asset management firm. Mercury Asset Management was acquired by Merrill Lynch in 1997. In December 2000, the executives of Mercury Private Equity negotiated independence from Merrill Lynch, and HgCapital (as it was then known) was established as a fully independent partnership wholly owned by its Partners and employees, who together work with a common purpose and culture.
Hg is currently invested in +30 companies across Europe and the US, and has invested in +70 companies since its inception. One of its most prominent investments includes Visma, a Scandinavian software business. In June 2017 Hg led the $5.3bn buyout of Visma, Europe's largest software buyout to date.
- "HgCapital LinkedIn Profile". Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- "HgCapital closes two funds at a total of about 3.1 bln pounds". PE Hub. 16 February 2017. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "HgCapital LP Profile". Private Equity International. 2 August 2017. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "Hg hits first close of Saturn fund, launches transition capital strategy". PE Hub. 6 March 2018. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- "HgCapital About Us". HgCapital. 8 April 2018. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- "The Manager - HgCapital Profile". HgCapital Trust. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "Cinven sells 40 pct of Visma to HG Capital-led group". PE Hub. 29 June 2017. Retrieved 28 August 2017.