Human Influence Index
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The eight measures used in computing the HII are:
- Population Density/km2
- Score of Railroads
- Score of Major Roads
- Score of Navigable Rivers
- Score of Coastlines
- Score of Nighttime Stable Lights Values
- Urban Polygons
- Land Cover Categories (urban areas, irrigated agriculture, rain-fed agriculture, other cover types including forests, tundra, and deserts)
HII values range from 0 to 64. Zero value represents no human influence and 64 represents maximum human influence possible using all 8 measures of human presence
- Sanderson, E.W., M. Jaiteh, M.A. Levy, K.H. Redford, A.V. Wannebo, and G. Woolmer. 2003. The Human Footprint and The Last of the Wild. BioScience 52, no.10 (October 2002): 891-904
- Official website with Download of the data in ArcGIS grid format.
- Scott M. 2003. The Human Footprint. NASA Earth Science Enterprise Data and Services.
- Mayell H. 2002. ‘Human Footprint’ Seen on 83 Percent of Earth’s Land. National Geographic News.