The Institute for Systems and Computer Engineering, Technology and Science (INESC TEC) is a research & development institute located on the campus of the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Porto (Portugal). INESC TEC is a private non-profit association, recognised as a Public Interest Institution and has been an Associate Laboratory since 2002.
The purpose of INESC TEC is to act as an interface between the academic world, the world of industry and services and the public administration in Information Technologies, Telecommunications and Electronics (ITT&E). INESC TEC invests in Scientific Research and Technological Development, as well as in Advanced Training and Consulting, Technology Transfer and supports the Establishment of new Technology-based Companies.
Present in 6 sites in the cities of Porto, Braga and Vila Real, INESC TEC incorporates 12 R&D Centres and one Associate Unit with complementary competences, always looking to the international market. INESC TEC brings together more than 800 researchers, of which around 300 have PhDs (250 integrated PhDs in 600 researchers).
INESC was founded in the city of Porto in 1985, and in December 1998 it became INESC Porto, a branch of INESC. Following a rebranding process, the institution changed its name to INESC TEC, with INESC, the University of Porto Foundation and the Polytechnical Institute of Porto.
In 2012, INESC TEC signed a protocol with the University of Minho. INESC TEC's complex in Minho is called HASLab – High Assurance Software Laboratory. In 2012, the University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro (UTAD) also became a privileged partner of INESC TEC.
Coordinated by INESC Porto, INESC TEC is one of Portugal's most influential research institutes with developments in areas such as health, renewable energies, enterprise systems, artificial intelligence, robotics, applied photonics, information systems  and high-assurance software.
In 2011, the Portuguese Navy joined efforts with the institute to develop technology for deep sea research and surveillance in order to monitor Portugal's Exclusive Economic Zone.
Among the people who work at INESC TEC are some of the most influential researchers both in Portugal and worldwide, such as José Carlos Príncipe, who won the 2011 IEEE Neural Networks Pioneer Award. In 2013, Vladimiro Miranda was awarded with the IEEE Power & Energy Society Ramakumar Family Renewable Energy Excellence Award 2012 by the prestigious Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
In December 2012, INESC TEC presented the Laboratory of Smart Grids and Electric Vehicles, which was the result of project REIVE (Smart Grids with Electric Vehicles). This is an unparallel infrastructure in the world and places Portugal at the forefront of smart grids worldwide. Provided with an experimental component that is unique, this laboratory makes it possible to test, in an environment that is very close to a real environment, new solutions that integrate microgeneration units and electric vehicles in Low Voltage grids.
INESC TEC conducts research in the following clusters:
- Power and Energy
- Computer Science
- Industry and Innovation
- Networked Intelligent Systems
The institute consists of:
12 R&D Centres
- CPES – Centre for Power and Energy Systems
- CTM – Centre for Telecommunications and Multimedia
- CAP – Centre for Applied Photonics
- CESE – Centre for Enterprise Systems Engineering
- CSIG – Centre for Information Systems and Computer Graphics
- CROB – Centre for Robotics and Intelligent Systems
- CITE – Centre for Innovation, Technology and Entrepreneurship
- C-BER - Centre for Biomedical Engineering Research
- LIAAD – Laboratory of Artificial Intelligence and Decision Support
- CRACS – Centre for Research in Advanced Computing Systems
- CEGI – Centre for Industrial Engineering and Management
- HASLab – High-Assurance Software Laboratory
and 1 Associate R&D Unit
- CISTER - Research Centre in Real-Time and Embedded Computing Systems
Chairman of INESC TEC: José Manuel Mendonça 
President of the Scientific Council: Manuel António Matos 
- "About Us". inescporto.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "INESC Porto lança quatro novas ‘start-ups’". inescporto.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- Aníbal Rodrigues. "Empresas criadas no INESC Porto são logo pensadas para competir no mercado global". PÚBLICO. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "History". inescporto.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "INESC - INESC GROUP". inesc.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "INESC TEC signs protocol with the University of Minho". inescporto.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "THE CONDITIONS TO BUILD A PALACE". inescporto.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "INESC". inescbrasil.org.br. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- Lurdes Ferreira. "Inesc Tec cria rede com instituições brasileiras e exporta tecnologia". PÚBLICO. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "INESC TEC vence Prémio Novo Norte 2011". inescporto.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- Breast Cancer, Debate On The Aesthetic Results Of Breast Cancer Local Treatment In Lisbon, Medical News Today (May 13th, 2011)http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/225169.php
- INESC Porto, FEUP develop software to automatically analyse and validate mammograms, News Medical, (May 12th, 2011) http://www.news-medical.net/news/20110512/INESC-Porto-FEUP-develop-software-to-automatically-analyse-and-validate-mammograms.aspx
- INESC Porto Software Will Facilitate Kidney Transplants, Scientific Computing (July 25th, 2011) http://www.scientificcomputing.com/news-inesc-porto-software-will-facilitate-kidney-transp-072511.aspx
- Green Islands Project underway – Azores, Portuguese American Journal (April 2nd, 2011) http://portuguese-american-journal.com/green-islands-project-underway-azores/
- Lusa. "INESC/Porto lidera maior projecto de investigação científica na Europa visando a massificação dos carros eléctricos". PÚBLICO. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Estes sapatos são personalizados e vão chegar a sua casa em 24 horas". inescporto.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- Manuel Carvalho. "A história de uma indústria condenada que se tornou um modelo para Portugal". PÚBLICO. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Robô SMARTPAINT na RTP". inescporto.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "TVI24’s Inovadores Programme interviews Aníbal Matos and Nuno Cruz". inescporto.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Investigadores do Porto criam tecnologia que pode chegar ao espao em 2018". JN. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- Aníbal Rodrigues. "INESC-Porto poupa papel e tempo aos municípios". PÚBLICO. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Portugueses que inventaram Excel sem erros". Económico. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- INESC Porto And The Portuguese Navy Join Forces To Develop Maritime Robotics, AlphaGalileo (June 15th, 2011)http://www.alphagalileo.org/ViewItem.aspx?ItemId=105563&CultureCode=en
- José Carlos Príncipe winner "2011 IEEE Neural Network Pioneer Award" – People, Portuguese American Journal, (August 1st, 2011), http://portuguese-american-journal.com/jose-carlos-principe-winner-%e2%80%9c2011-ieee-neural-network-pioneer-award%e2%80%9d-people/
- "FCT — News". mctes.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Conclusion of project REIVE: INESC TEC is world leader in Smart grids". inescporto.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "INESC TEC apresenta Laboratório de Micro-redes e Veículos Elétricos na RTP2". inescporto.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Presidente do INESC Porto diz que tecnológicas são a solução". Dinheiro Vivo. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Manuel Matos - index". up.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "José Carlos Príncipe receives IEEE Neural Networks Pioneer Award". inescporto.pt. Retrieved 10 August 2015.