I Can't Stand It
|"I Can't Stand It"|
|Single by Eric Clapton|
|from the album Another Ticket|
|Released||February 11, 1981|
|Eric Clapton singles chronology|
"I Can't Stand It" was the first single from Eric Clapton's 1981 album Another Ticket. On the record label for the vinyl 45, its credited as Eric Clapton and His Band. It was also used for interludes on Bill O'Reilly's radio show, The Radio Factor.
AllMusic critic Matthew Greenwald recalls the song as "one of Eric Clapton's biggest hits from the early '80s" and found "this song found him continuing, in his words, to be as much a musicologist as a musician." Greenwald goes on to saying that the songs "lyrics have a venomous jealousy, and they are some of Clapton's most literate of the period". He rounded his review up by saying that "musically, some classic, almost Booker T. & the M.G.'s-styled chord changes highlight the driving tempo, providing Clapton with a huge hit". William Ruhlman of AllMusic recalls that I Can't Stand It "held up well".
Besides becoming a pop hit in its own right, reaching No. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100, it was also the first No. 1 song on Billboard's Top Tracks chart for rock songs, which debuted in March 1981. It stayed at the summit for two weeks. The song reached #15 in Canada. By 1981, Broadcast Music, Inc. measured more than one million broadcasts of the song, earning Clapton a special recognition certificate.
|US Billboard Hot 100||10|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||1|
- Greenwald, Matthew. "I Can't Stand It – Eric Clapton | Listen, Appearances, Song Review | AllMusic". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved August 5, 2015.
- Ruhlmann, William. "Another Ticket – Eric Clapton | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved August 5, 2015.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (8 ed.). United States: Billboard Publications. p. 128.
- "A BMI Citation Of Achievement for 'I Can't Stand It' by Eric Clapton, 1981". Bonhams. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- "1050 Chum Charts > Clapton, Eric". Chum Charts. Chum Limited. Archived from the original on February 22, 2006. Retrieved December 22, 2015.
- "RPM Canada Top 50 Singles". RPM Magazine. Library and Archives Canada. 34 (25). May 30, 1981. Retrieved December 22, 2015.
- "InfoDisc : Tous les Titres par Artiste". Institut français d'opinion publique (in French). InfoDisc.fr. Select "Eric Clapton" from the artist drop-down menu. Archived from the original on February 17, 2014. Retrieved December 22, 2015.
- Gimmel, Reshet (May 2, 1981). "Billboard Hits of the World > Israel > Singles" (PDF). Billboard Magazine. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 93 (17): 92. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved December 22, 2015.
- "M&D: Classifiche > Eric Clapton". Musica e dischi (in Italian). musicaedischi.it. Look for collaboration efforts also. Retrieved December 22, 2015.
- Tatsaku, Ren (December 2011). The Oricon Sales Report (in Japanese). Tokyo, Japan: Oricon Style – Recording Industry Association of Japan.
- "Eric Clapton | Awards | AllMusic". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved December 22, 2015.
- "I Can't Stand It – Eric Clapton | Awards | AllMusic". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved December 22, 2015.