Ilkley cycling club
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ilkley Cycling Club is a community-based club that promotes cycling in the town of Ilkley, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom.
Founded in 1896, the club was a thriving sports club straddling both world wars and reached a peak during the 1950s, when it was one of the largest cycling clubs in the region.
Towards the late 1950s, the club disbanded, largely due to the reduced popularity of cycling as more motor cars took to the roads.
In 2011, a group of local cyclists led by Paul O'Looney, decided to resurrect the club and called a public meeting on 27 March 2011 at The Yard public house. Over 85 people turned up for the meeting, a constitution was created and agreed, with the aims being:
- To promote cycling to the people of Ilkley (and surrounding areas) and to those who cycle in or near our town
- To provide an avenue for club members to race and compete by having affiliations to governing bodies (British Cycling, Cycling Time Trials, MTB, cyclocross etc.)
- To provide a focus for recreational cyclists and promote the sport at grassroots level.
- To be open to all, and to encourage cycling for everyone.
The club has a junior section, funded by Sport England, and has a senior race team as well as social rides.
During 2013, the club membership increased to more than 1,000, and featured in articles of many local newspapers.
- "History". Ilkley Cycling Club. 2012-04-03. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- "Ilkley Cycling Club back on the road after 50 years (From Ilkley Gazette)". Ilkleygazette.co.uk. 2011-05-15. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- "Resurrected cycling club connects with the past (From Ilkley Gazette)". Ilkleygazette.co.uk. 2011-04-19. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- "Ilkley's cyclo cross event is hailed as a big success (From Ilkley Gazette)". Ilkleygazette.co.uk. 2012-01-19. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- "Ilkley Go-Cross / Events". Britishcycling.org.uk. 2012-01-15. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- "Ilkley Cycling Club stages its first time trial (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)". Thetelegraphandargus.co.uk. 2011-08-04. Retrieved 2012-04-15.