Ilton, North Yorkshire
|Ilton shown within North Yorkshire|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Ilton is a village in North Yorkshire, England, 3 miles south-west of the small town of Masham. It is the principal settlement in the civil parish of Ilton cum Pott, in Harrogate district. The parish includes Roundhill Reservoir. The population of the parish was estimated at 70 in 2013.
In the Middle Ages Fountains Abbey held land in Ilton, and also had a grange at Pott. In the 16th century Sir Thomas Danby acquired the land at Pott, and in 1658 a later Sir Thomas Danby bought the Ilton land, which has since formed part of the Swinton estates.
Ilton was historically in Mashamshire, the large ancient parish of Masham, in the North Riding of Yorkshire. Ilton cum Pott became a separate civil parish in 1866. A large area of Masham Moor was added to the parish in 1934. In 1974 the parish was transferred to the new county of North Yorkshire.
Until 1974 Ilton was part of Masham Rural District (before 1934 Masham Urban District) in the North Riding of Yorkshire. It is now part of the Borough of Harrogate in North Yorkshire.
Near the village is the Druids' Temple, a replica of Stonehenge built in about 1800 by William Danby of nearby Swinton Park. During a time of agricultural depression and high unemployment, Danby hired local men to construct a moderately large-scale replica of Stonehenge, working at a full shilling a day. The result is a folly of national reputation. He was less successful in hiring a silent druidic hermit to fulfill a seven-year contract, though several tried, for the promised annuity.
- "Population Estimates". North Yorkshire County Council. 2013. Retrieved 28 March 2016. The population at the 2011 Census was included with the civil parish of Healey.
- Watts, Victor, ed. (2010), "Ilton NYorks", The Cambridge Dictionary of English Place-Names, Cambridge University Press
- William Page (editor) (1914). "Parishes: Masham". Victoria County History. A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 1. Institute of Historical Research. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- "Vision of Britain: Masham Moor". Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- "The Parish". Fearby Healey and District Parish Council. Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- Historic England. "Details from image database (325023)". Images of England. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- "Druids Temple". Bivouac Swinton. Retrieved 28 November 2014.