State within a state
State within a state is a political situation in a country when an internal organ ("Deep State"), such as the armed forces, intelligence agencies, or police, does not respond to the civilian leadership. The term, like many in politics, derives from the Greek language (κράτος εν κράτει, kratos en kratei, later adopted into Latin as imperium in imperio or status in statu).
Sometimes, the term refers to state companies that, though formally under the command of the government, act de facto like private corporations. Sometimes, the term refers to companies that, though formally private, act de facto like "states within a state".
Certain political debates surrounding the separation of church and state revolve around the perception that if left unchecked, the Church might turn into a kind of State within a State, an illegitimate outgrowth of the State's natural civil power.
Alleged cases of “state within a state”
- Algeria's Department of Intelligence and Security
- British Guiana's Booker-McConnell
- Cameroon's Cameroon Development Corporation
- Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood
- Egypt's Supreme Council of the Armed Forces
- Francoist Spain's military forces
- German Confederation's Zollverein
- German Empire's Deutsches Heer
- Guatemala's United Fruit Company
- Honduras's United Fruit Company
- Imperial Japan's Army and the Kwantung Army
- Iran's IRGC
- Iran's SAVAK
- Italy's Propaganda Due
- Ivan the Terrible's Oprichnina
- Lebanon's PLO
- Lebanon's Hezbollah
- Nazi Germany's Schutzstaffel
- Nazi Germany's Wehrmacht
- North Vietnam's Viet Cong
- Ottoman Empire's Committee of Union and Progress
- Ottoman Empire's Janissaries
- Ottoman Empire's Karakol society
- Ottoman Empire's Young Turks
- Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence
- PDVSA in pre-Chávez Venezuela
- Philippines' Iglesia ni Cristo
- Safavid Persia's Qizilbash
- South Vietnam's ARVN
- Soviet Union's KGB
- Turkey's Deep State
- United States's CIA
- United States's military–industrial complex
- United States's NSA
- United States's Intelligence Community
- Weimar Republic's Reichswehr
- from Baruch Spinoza: Tractatus politicus, Caput II, § 6.
- Daniel De Leon: "Imperium in imperio" in: Daily People, June 4, 1903.
- Cf William Blackstone, Commentaries on the Laws of England, IV, c.4 ss. iii.2, p. *54, where the charge of being imperium in imperio was notably levied against the Church
- "Great Seal of Ohio". Ohio History 10: 392–393.
- Knabenshue, S. S. "The Great Seal of Ohio". Ohio History 10: 489–490.
- BBC On This Day: May 26, 1981
- Who Controls Pakistan's Powerful ISI?, Radio Free Europe, August 14, 2008
- "Pakistan's shadowy secret service, the ISI". BBC News. 3 May 2011.
- Ambinder, Marc; Grady, D.B. (2013). Deep State: Inside the Government Secrecy Industry. Wiley. ISBN 978-1118146682.
- Priest, Dana; Arkin, William M. (2011). Top Secret America: The Rise of the New American Security State. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 0316182214. Lay summary – The Quiet Coup: No, Not Egypt. Here. (07/09/2013). Check date values in:
- Scott, Peter Dale (March 10, 2014). "The State, the Deep State, and the Wall Street Overworld". The Asia-Pacific Journal 12 (10, No. 5).
|This article about politics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This military-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|