Interdisciplinary Centre for Advanced Materials Simulation
The Interdisciplinary Centre for Advanced Materials Simulation (ICAMS) is a research centre at the Ruhr University Bochum, Germany.
ICAMS focuses on the development and application of a new generation of simulation tools for multi-scale materials modelling with the aim of reducing development cost and time for new materials. Within the approach taken by ICAMS, the different length scales that are relevant for materials - from the atomic structure to macroscopic properties of materials - are bridged by an interdisciplinary team of scientists from engineering, materials science, chemistry, physics and mathematics.
ICAMS is linked to the Institute of Materials (Ruhr University Bochum), the Department of Ferrous Metallurgy (RWTH Aachen University, Germany) and the Max Planck Institute for Iron Research GmbH (Düsseldorf, Germany).
The structure of ICAMS reflects the hierarchical structure of materials. ICAMS hosts three departments:
- Atomistic Modelling and Simulation,
- Scale Bridging Thermodynamic and Kinetic Simulation,
- Micromechanical and Macroscopic Modelling.
Their research is contemplated by three external Advanced Study Groups:
- Modelling (Max Planck Institute for Iron Research GmbH),
- Input Data and Validation (Ruhr University Bochum),
- Processing and Characterization (RWTH Aachen University) .
- ICAMS official website
- ICAMS officially opened at Ruhr University: Materials research center starts work, Innovations Report 06.06.2008