John Grimley Evans
John Grimley Evans
|Died||March 26, 2018(aged 81)|
|Education||King Edward's School, Birmingham|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge (MA, MD)|
University of Oxford (DM)
|Awards||Knight Bachelor (1997)|
|Institutions||London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine|
University of Oxford
|Doctoral students||Sallie Lamb|
Sir John Grimley Evans (17 September 1936 – 26 March 2018) was a British gerontologist.
Education and early life
Grimley Evans was born in Birmingham to Harry Walter Grimley Evans and Violet Prenter Walker on 17 September 1936. He attended King Edward's School, Birmingham, and studied at St John's College, Cambridge and Balliol College, Oxford.
Career and research
Grimley Evans worked with Donald Acheson before joining the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine as a lecturer. Subsequently, he taught at Newcastle University and the University of Oxford. Grimley Evans served as editor of the journal Age and Ageing from 1988 to 1995.
Awards and honours
Grimley Evans died at the age of 81 on 26 March 2018.
- Anon (2007). "Grimley Evans, Sir John". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U18288. (subscription or UK public library membership required) (subscription required)
- "Honours and Awards". The London Gazette. 18 August 1998. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- Lamb, Sarah Elizabeth (1997). Epidemiological and clinical studies of mobility limitation in frail older women. jisc.ac.uk (DPhil thesis). University of Oxford. OCLC 43182077. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.389004.
- Lewis, Riley. "Professor Sir John Grimley Evans (1936-2018)". www.gtc.ox.ac.uk.
- Grimley Evans, J. (2012). "Biography of Prof. Grimley Evans, Editor 1988–1995". Age and Ageing. 31 (supp. 3). doi:10.1093/ageing/afs131.
- "Sir John Grimley Evans FMedSci". acmedsci.ac.uk. Academy of Medical Sciences. Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- "Sir John Grimley Evans". thetimes.co.uk. The Times. 24 April 2018. Retrieved 29 April 2018.