James Hilton (academic administrator)
James Loyd Hilton (born January 23, 1959) is an American psychologist, educator and academic administrator.
Upon approval of the University of Michigan Board of Regents, Hilton became the University Librarian and Dean of Libraries on September 1, 2013. He is also the Vice Provost for Academic Innovation, responsible for developing strategies and policies around educational technology and other cross-campus digital education initiatives.
Hilton served as Vice President and Chief Information Officer at the University of Virginia from 2006 until 2013. From 2001 to 2006 he was the Associate Provost for Academic Information and Instructional Technology Affairs at the University of Michigan, and served as the Interim University Librarian for one year in 2005. Hilton was a member of the faculty at the University of Michigan in the Psychology Department where he served as the Chair of Undergraduate Studies between 1991 and 2000.
Hilton is a three-time recipient of the University of Michigan's Literature, Science, & the Arts (LS&A) Excellence in Education award, an Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, and recipient of the Class of 1923 Memorial Teaching Award. He has published extensively in the areas of information technology policy, person perception, stereotypes, and the psychology of suspicion.
According to the Ann Arbor News, "He is an advocate for using technology in teaching and is working on developing the Digital Preservation Network, an archival backbone designed to catch and preserve discoveries for the future. He's also a supporter of large-scale preservation and access initiatives such as HathiTrust."
Awards, fellowships, and honors
- CIC Academic Leadership Program Fellow, 1997–98
- Sweetland Writing Center Fellow, University of Michigan, 1997–98
- L.S.A. Excellence in Education Award, University of Michigan, 1995
- L.S.A. Excellence in Education Award, University of Michigan, 1994
- L.S.A. Excellence in Education Award, University of Michigan, 1992
- Class of 1923 Memorial Teaching Award, University of Michigan, 1991
- Master Lecturer Award from the Michigan Psychological Association, 1989
He has been married to Molly Pitts Hilton since 1982 and has two children.
Notes and references
- Fitzgerald, Rick. "James Hilton will return to U-M as dean of libraries". University of Michigan News Service. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- Hilton, James. "James Hilton". http://ai.umich.edu/teammember/hilton-james/. Retrieved October 10, 2017. External link in
- Fitzgerald, Rick. "New library dean also will serve as vice provost for digital educational initiatives". Record Update. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- Woodhouse, Kelly (14 May 2013). "U-Va. administrator to become University of Michigan dean of libraries". The Ann Arbor News. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "Arthur F. Thurnau Professorships 1988-2013". University of Michigan. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "Class of 1923 Memorial Teaching Award Recipients". University of Michigan. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "James L. Hilton returns to U-M as dean of libraries". University of Michigan School of Information. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "DuraSpace Board of Directors". Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "Internet2 Board of Trustees". Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "The DPN Team". Retrieved 3 October 2013.