Jack van Wijk
Jarke J. (Jack) van Wijk (born 1959) is a Dutch computer scientist, a professor in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at the Eindhoven University of Technology, and an expert in information visualization.
Van Wijk received his M.S. from the Delft University of Technology in 1982. His master's thesis, on simulation of traffic collisions, led him to become interested in computer visualization, and he remained at Delft for his doctoral studies, completing a Ph.D. in 1986 under the supervision of Dennis J. McConalogue. He worked at the Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands from 1988 until 1998, when he joined the Eindhoven faculty; he was promoted to a full professorship in 2001.
As well as being a faculty member at TU Eindhoven, van Wijk is the vice president for scientific affairs at MagnaView, a Dutch information visualization company.
In information visualization, Van Wijk is known for his research in texture synthesis, treemaps, and flow visualization. His work on map projection won the 2009 Henry Johns Award of the British Cartographic Society for best cartographic journal article. He has twice been program co-chair for IEEE Visualization, and once for IEEE InfoVis. In 2007, he received an IEEE Technical Achievement Award for his visualization research.
In graph drawing, van Wijk has worked on the visualization of small-world networks and on the depiction of abstract trees as biological trees. He has also conducted user studies that showed that the standard depiction of directed edges in graph drawings using arrowheads is less effective at conveying the directionality of the edges to readers than other conventions such as tapering. He was one of two invited speakers at the 19th International Symposium on Graph Drawing in 2011, and the capstone speaker at the IEEE VIS 2013.
- Riegler aus Providence, Alexandra (November 1, 2011), "Die vielen Arten, das Abstrakte sichtbar zu machen", Der Standard (in German).
- "The 2007 Visualization Technical Achievement Award: Jarke J. van Wijk", IEEE Visualization Conference and IEEE Information Visualization Conference Proceedings 2008, IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, p. xxii.
- Jarke J. van Wijk at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- MagnaView Management, retrieved 2011-11-10.
- van Wijk, Jarke J. (1991), "Spot noise texture synthesis for data visualization", Proc. 18th Conf. Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (SIGGRAPH '91), pp. 309–318, doi:10.1145/122718.122751
- Van Wijk, J.J.; Van de Wetering, H. (1999), "Cushion treemaps: visualization of hierarchical information", Proc. IEEE Symp. Information Visualization (Info Vis '99), pp. 73–78, doi:10.1109/INFVIS.1999.801860.
- Bruls, Mark; Huizing, Kees; van Wijk, Jarke J. (2000), "Squarified treemaps", in de Leeuw, W.; van Liere, R., Data Visualization 2000: Proc. Joint Eurographics and IEEE TCVG Symp. on Visualization (PDF), Springer-Verlag, pp. 33–42.
- de Leeuw, Willem C.; van Wijk, Jarke J. (1993), "A probe for local flow field visualization", Proc. 4th Conference on Visualization (VIS '93), pp. 39–45, doi:10.1109/VISUAL.1993.398849.
- van Wijk, Jarke J. (2002), "Image based flow visualization", Proc. 29th Conf. Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (SIGGRAPH '02), pp. 745–754, doi:10.1145/566570.566646.
- Aron, Jacob (December 10, 2009), "Clever folds in a globe give new perspectives on Earth", NewScientist.
- MagnaView CSO awarded Henry Johns Award of British Cartographic Society, MagnaView, June 18, 2009.
- The Henry Johns Award 2009, The British Cartographic Society, retrieved 2011-11-10.
- van Ham, F.; Van Wijk, J.J. (2004), "Interactive Visualization of Small World Graphs", Proc. IEEE Symp. Information Visualization (INFOVIS 2004), pp. 199–206, doi:10.1109/INFVIS.2004.43.
- Kleiberg, Ernst; van de Wetering, Huub; Wijk, Jarke J. Van (2001), "Botanical Visualization of Huge Hierarchies", IEEE Symp. Information Visualization (INFOVIS 2001), p. 87, doi:10.1109/INFVIS.2001.963285.
- Holten, Danny; van Wijk, Jarke J. (2009), "A user study on visualizing directed edges in graphs", Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '09) (PDF), pp. 2299–2308, doi:10.1145/1518701.1519054.
- Holten, Danny; Isenberg, Petra; van Wijk, Jarke J.; Fekete, Jean-Daniel (2011), "An extended evaluation of the readability of tapered, animated, and textured directed-edge representations in node-link graphs", IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (PacificVis 2011) (PDF), pp. 195–202, doi:10.1109/PACIFICVIS.2011.5742390.
- Graph Drawing 2011 program, retrieved 2011-11-10.
- 2013 IEEE VIS Guest Speakers, retrieved 2014-11-18.
- Home page at TU Eindhoven