Jeff Van Kamp
|Jeff Van Kamp|
|Born||April 3, 1962|
|Professional wrestling career|
|Ring name(s)||Jeff Van Kamp/Camp
|Billed from||Gulf Breeze, Florida|
Jeff VanCamp, Sr. is an American retired professional wrestler, who wrestled under the ring names Jeff Van Kamp/Jeff Van Camp as well as working as Lord Humongous in 1984 and 1985. He is a former NWA Alabama Heavyweight Champion and NWA Southeast Continental Heavyweight Champion.
Professional wrestling career
Working under the ring name Jeff Van Camp he wrestled for the Indianapolis-based World Wrestling Association in the early 1980s. On January 7, 1984 Van Camp and Dick the Bruiser defeated Abdulla the Great and Jerry Valiant to win the WWA World Tag Team Championship. The duo held the championship until September of that year where they were defeated by the Wild Warriors (Mad Maxx and Super Maxx). At that point Van Cam had already moved on to a wrestling promotion closer to his home in Florida as he began working for Southeast Championship Wrestling (SECW) out of Alabama. In SECW he was given a new ring character, Lord Humongous, a ring character inspired by an evil gang leader in the 1981 movie Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior. He was brought in by SECW's main bad guy Ron Fuller to target the promotions top good guys. His first storyline feud saw him win the NWA Alabama Heavyweight Championship from Porkchop Cash in September, 1984 only weeks after starting with the promotion. He would hold on to the title into 1985 where he would lose it to and then regain it from Johnny Rich as part of an ongoing storyline. On March 4, 1985 Austin Idol ended Lord Humongous' second run with the championship. Once Lord Humongous regained the title on April 6, 1985 he became involved in a storyline where Ron Fuller started to feel remorse over the Humongous' actions. This led to Humongous turning face (wrestling term for those that portray the "good guys") and started to fight against Lord Humongous. Fuller ended Humongous' third and final fall on June 17, 1985. Following that he moved onto a storyline feud with The Flame, from whoom he won the NWA Southeast Continental Heavyweight Championship in July 1985, only to lose it back to the Flame a few weeks later. Jeff's final match as Lord Humongous and as a wrestler in general took place on August 3, 1985 where The Flame defeated him in a "Loser Leaves Town" match.
VanCamp, Sr. currently lives in South Florida. He has two children, Jeff and Brandon, both of whom have had successful football careers at the collegiate level. He worked as a Deputy Sheriff for Escambia County and had an unsuccessful bid for Sheriff of neighboring Santa Rosa County.
Championships and accomplishments
- "Wrestler Profiles: Lord Humongous". Online World of Wrestling. Retrieved 2008-05-05.
- Royal Duncan & Gary Will (2006). "(Indianapolis) World Wrestling Association World Tag Team Title". Wrestling Title Histories (4th ed.). Archeus Communications. ISBN 0-9698161-5-4.
- "W.W.A. World Tag Team Title (Indianapolis)". wrestling-titles.com. 2003. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- Royal Duncan & Gary Will (2006). "(Alabama) NWA Alabama Heavyweight Title". Wrestling Title Histories (4th ed.). Archeus Communications. ISBN 0-9698161-5-4.
- "NWA Alabama Heavyweight Title". wrestling-titles.com. 2003. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- Royal Duncan & Gary Will (2006). "(Alabama) NWA Southeast Continental Heavyweight Title". Wrestling Title Histories (4th ed.). Archeus Communications. ISBN 0-9698161-5-4.