John Cartwright (lawyer)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
John Cartwright BCL, MA (born 1957)is the Professor of the Law of Contract at the University of Oxford, a Student (Fellow) of Christ Church, and a qualified Solicitor. He sat Honour Moderations in Classics in 1978, but decided to become a lawyer and transferred courses, gaining a BA in Jurisprudence from the University in 1981. Afterwards, he read the BCL.
Cartwright was appointed an Official Student of Christ Church after graduation and has been a Tutor of Law since 1982. In 2004 he was appointed Reader in the Law of Contract at the University. He has been Professor of the Law of Contract since 2008.
Further, he has been Professor of Anglo-American Private Law at the University of Leiden since 2007 and is a visiting professor to the Panthéon-Assas University ('Panthéon-Assas'). He speaks French fluently and has a profound interest in French law and in the promotion of the ties between the Universities of Oxford and Paris. Cartwright flies to Europe about once a week.
- Contract Law: An Introduction to the English Law of Contract for the Civil Lawyer : Hart Publishing, 2007
- Misrepresentation, Mistake and Non-Disclosure (2nd expanded edition of Misrepresentation) : Sweet & Maxwell (Contract Law Library), 2006
- Cheshire & Burn's Modern Law of Real Property : 17th edn (jointly with E.H. Burn), Oxford University Press, 2006
- Misrepresentation : Sweet & Maxwell (Contract Law Library), 2002
- Anson's Law of Contract: 29th edn (jointly with Jack Beatson and Andrew Burrows): Oxford University Press, 2010