John Vaughan (footballer, born 1964)
|Date of birth||26 June 1964|
|Place of birth||Isleworth, England|
|Barnsley (Goalkeeping coach)|
|West Ham United|
|1982–1986||West Ham United||0||(0)|
|1994–1996||Preston North End||66||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
John Vaughan (born 26 June 1964 in Isleworth) is an English former professional footballer who made nearly 400 league appearances in a varied career. After retiring as a player, he went into coaching, and is currently goalkeeping coach at Barnsley.
A goalkeeper, Vaughan came up through the youth ranks at West Ham United although he didn't make a first team appearance at Upton Park. Whilst at West Ham he was sent out on loan to gain experience at Charlton Athletic, Bristol Rovers, Wrexham and Bristol City before Fulham paid £12,500 for his permanent services in the summer of 1986. Vaughan spent 2 seasons at Craven Cottage, making 44 league appearances. He was also in goal the night that Liverpool beat Fulham 10-0 in a Football League Cup game.
He was released from Fulham in 1988 and was signed by Cambridge United manager Chris Turner. Vaughan went on to enjoy success at United as, led by Turner's successor John Beck, they gained successive promotions from 1989-91 to take them to the old Second Division. They finished the 1991-92 season in the play-offs for the inaugural Premier League season but were beaten by Leicester City.
During the following season Vaughan fell out of favour once Beck had been sacked and subsequent United managers Ian Atkins and Gary Johnson preferred either Jon Sheffield or John Filan much of the time. At the end of the 1992/93 season Vaughan was released and joined Charlton Athletic where he made 6 appearances as back-up goalkeeper to Bob Bolder.
When John Beck had taken over as manager of Preston North End he took Vaughan with him and he made 66 appearances at Deepdale. Beck was sacked and took over at Lincoln City, taking Vaughan with him again where he played a further 65 games.
After doing some part-time coaching in the academy, Vaughan was appointed as goalkeeping coach at Huddersfield Town in August 2006. He was goalkeeping coach of Birmingham City from July 2012 to October 2014. In June 2015, he was appointed goalkeeping coach at Barnsley.
- Football League Division Three: 1995–96
- A previous version of this profile listed Vaughan as playing non-league football in the Western League with the likes of Torrington and Barnstaple. This goalkeeper would seem to be a different John Vaughan with the appearances being made from 2004 onwards.
- "In safe hands". Huddersfield Examiner. 2 August 2006. Retrieved 2008-05-29.
- "Official: Crosby and Vaughan depart". Birmingham City F.C. 27 October 2014. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "John Vaughan Joins As Goalkeeper Coach". Barnsley F.C. Official Website. 25 June 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Tier Three (League One) Honours". Coludaybyday.co.uk.
- "Division Three (League Two) Play-Off Finalists". Coludaybyday.co.uk.
- "Tier Four (League Two) Honours". Coludaybyday.co.uk.