John de Montacute, 1st Baron Montacute
He was the son of William Montagu, 1st Earl of Salisbury by his wife Catherine Grandison, and younger brother of William de Montacute, 2nd Earl of Salisbury (1328-1397). He also had several younger sisters.
Marriage & progeny
He married Margaret de Monthermer, daughter and heiress of Thomas de Monthermer, 2nd Baron de Monthermer by his wife Margaret Teyes. His descendants thenceforth quartered the arms of Monthermer: Or, an eagle displayed vert beaked and membered gules. By his wife he had progeny:
- John Montacute, 3rd Earl of Salisbury, KG, (c.1350-1400).
- Eleanor Montacute, wife of John III Dinham (1359-1428).
- Thomas Montagu, Dean of Salisbury Cathedral
- Stephen, Sir Leslie; Lee, Sir Sidney (1909). Dictionary of national biography. Smith, Elder & Co.
- Froissart, John (1844). The Chronicles of England, France and Spain. London: William Smith. pp. 192–5.
- J. Ravilious, CP Addition: Eleanor (Elena) de Montagu, wife of Sir John de Dinham, soc.genealogy.medieval, 27 Mar 2004. See also Douglas Richardson, D. Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families (Salt Lake City, 2011), I:660-1
|This biography of a peer, peeress or noble of the United Kingdom, or one or more of its constituent countries, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|