|Born||1948 (age 70–71)|
Martín started learning the guitar at the age of six. In his early twenties he moved to Madrid to study under Niño Ricardo and Paco de Lucía. He played in clubs in Málaga, Seville and Granada. He soon moved to London, where he has developed most of his career. One of his first recordings was Picasso Portraits (1981) based on the music he played at Picasso's 90th birthday celebrations. Each section is a depiction of a painting by Pablo Picasso. Although it was not released until the 1990s, he recorded a track with Rory Gallagher in 1984 (on the album, Wheels Within Wheels). Also in 1984 his track "Love Theme from The Thorn Birds" reached number 10 in the UK Singles Chart. He recorded with Herbie Hancock in 1987 and has played on stage with Miles Davis.
Juan Martín is the author of several textbooks on flamenco playing, including El Arte Flamenco de la Guitarra, issued with cassette tapes and later with vinyl sound sheets, and 'Solos Flamencos' issued with CDs and DVDs. Both tutorial books, printed in English and Spanish, are successful in the English-speaking world.
- The Exciting Sound of Flamenco (1974)
- The Flamenco Soul (1976)
- Ole, Don Juan! Flamenco En Andalucia (1977)
- Romance (1978)
- Picasso Portraits (1981)
- Serenade (1984) (with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra)
- Painter in Sound (1986)
- Through The Moving Window (1990)
- Painter in Sound (1990)
- Musica Alhambra (1996)
- Music Alhambra (1998)
- Luna Negra (1992)re'released 1998
- Arte Flamenco Puro
- The Andalucian Suites I-IV (1998)
- Camino Latino (2002)
- Live En Directo (2005)
- El Alquimista (The Alchemist) (2005)
- Solo (2009)
Juan Martín and Antonio Aparecida
- Riquezas (2002)
- www.flamencovision.com - Juan Martin's website - Retrieved on 2016-03-26.
- TRUE TALES OF THE ART: Juan Martin plays Picasso | GIG CITY. Gigcity.ca (2011-11-12). Retrieved on 2012-12-16.
- Juan Martin and his flamenco ensemble to perform in Calgary. Calgaryjournal.ca. Retrieved on 2012-12-16.
- iTunes - Music - Juan Martin. Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved on 2012-12-16.
- Flamenco a way of life for Juan Martin. Nsnews.com (2011-10-28). Retrieved on 2012-12-16.
- » Flamenco Master Juan Martin in Calgary Jazz Elements: jazz & blues music blog with news, reviews, concerts & more, with a Canadian focus. Jazzelements.com (2007-10-15). Retrieved on 2012-12-16.
- Juan Martin and his Flamenco Company - UK tickets, tour dates, news, gigs and concerts. Allgigs.co.uk. Retrieved on 2012-12-16.
- Juan Martin Flamenco Dance Ensemble. Barbican (2009-05-21). Retrieved on 2012-12-16.
- Interview in Classical Guitar magazine, May 2007, p.11.
- JMI: Juan Martin, Jproductions.com, archived from the original on 2012-02-04, retrieved 2012-12-16
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 352. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- JUAN MARTIN music, discography, MP3, videos and reviews. Progarchives.com. Retrieved on 2012-12-16.
- El Arte Flamenco de la Guitarra, Flamencovision, retrieved 2015-05-26
- FlamencoVision. FlamencoVision. Retrieved on 2012-12-16.